Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angry Bees

Default Re: Angry Bees

Terrific and Simple
    Seems flawless (is that possible with bees)

Tommyt
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-11-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: UNQ

To kill the hive and not damage the honey or combs: Place an empty super on top and fill with 2 or 3 lbs of "dry ice" (frozen carbon dioxide). Put the top back on and seal up all entrances and cracks with duct tape.
    Triangle Bees

Mr. Bush;

How would you re-Queen a couple of africanized Top Bar Hives?

Dear WoodBuster
    From Jldoll

If I need to give you an apology. Please accept it. I apologize,"""""""
    I was concerned about the safty of people and animals in your location. And anyone else that wanted to keep bees in your area.

I don't know a lot about your aggressive africanized bees.

But," I do have a daughter that lives in Southern Ca. In sub division housing. And she just lead the fight to band any honey bees inside there city limits. And she was succsessful and now bees are not aloud in there city.

If I have offended you or anyone else please accept my apololgy.

But I am happy this post about angry bees has recived so much attenision, This subject must be talked about.
    good luck to all Jerry
    Last edited by jldoll; 12-10-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jldoll View Post
    ...I do have a daughter that lives in Southern Ca. In sub division housing. And she just lead the fight to band any honey bees inside there city limits. And she was succsessful and now bees are not aloud in there city...
    good to all Jerry
    There's a story behind this one... What is it? Why did your daughter lead this initiative to ban bees in her locality?

Adam

Seems like every situation is different. Divide and conquer is about the only solution I could come up with when I was faced with vicious bees. So I would pursue that, but then you have to consider available equipment. With Langstroths I can get by with any board for a bottom. I can get by with any board for a top as long as I slide it back enough to make a gap for an entrance (I often do this and no the rain isn't a issue, it just runs down the inside wall). So it's easy enough with langstroths. With Top Bar Hives you may need to make more equipment. Or just resign yourself to a shake out and know you will be covered in bees. Still the first easy step is to move the hive and put an empty at the old place. This depletes the field bees. You can even, to anchor them there, put some empty drawn comb and brush the bees off of a frame of brood if you dare. That way they will be less likely to go drifting to find the queen. Now you have a lot less bees to deal with and nurse bees are easier to deal with. If you have enough boxes you can always divide them up as small as two frames if need be to find which one has the most bees after the splits and that is probably where her majesty is. Actually a makeshift top bar hive isn't that complicated. If you check out Anarchy Apiaries site, I think you'll see some very simple top bar hives. You can put together as many nucs as you need in this manner from any kind of scrap laying around, even cardboard, and do your splits and proceed as mentioned above.

If you dare to do the shakeout, you'll need to go a ways from the hive and shake them all on the ground. As long as you're at it, you may as well use an excluder and shake them all through that to find the queen. But you will be covered in angry bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

what mike bush is telling you about using multiple bottom boards it what he told me when I had some nasty hybrids from some russian bees they were very aggressive. that is why I offered that advice it is the advice that was given to me and it worked very well takes a little time and effort but gives you a way to requeen the hive and not have to kill it.

I saved 3 hives from being destroyed (cut outs), but they turned out super aggressive to say the least. I have top bar equipment we made at the orphanage, it is rustic and it was meant to help us get started -and it did. Now, this hives are set apart and away from everything for we can not even get close for inspections. I will divide the 3 into 9 next spring, with 9 new queens.
    And yes, I will look for the queen again, did it before and I was able to find them. I got 30 some stings on the process...

Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-11-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: UNQ

Wow respect to you guys. Beekeeping is challenging enough without having bees that try to kill you whenever you go into a hive....

No apology necessary. I completely understand your concern and am working on finding a solution. I am going today to see a potential place where I might be able to move my bees. I think I am going to try to move the hives as they are. If I strap them well they shouldn't be able to open. I'll tell you all how it goes.

Thanks for explaining this so thoroughly. I think I understand what you're saying. If I have any questions I'll be sure to ask.

No people were harmed in this Ca. city. But one dog was killed by africanized bees. It was in a fenced in yard and on one knew this hive was there.
    It only took one person to say, It could have been a child. And the city council voted unanimously to band bees inside the city limits.
    This dog that was killed lived about 2 city blocks from my daughters house. And I have 2 grandchildren ages 2 and 5
    Jerry

It only takes one rotten apple

It is sad that the bee keeper did not have control over his bees. !!

Or bee able to move them to an isolated , unpopulated area to fix the problem

mvh edward