Thread: How long?

Default How long?

I have several small jars of honey I planned to give away for Christmas. They are starting to crystalize. If I reliquify them, how long will they stay that way?
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Default Re: How long?

It depends on the type of honey, the moisture content, how finely you filtered it, the temperature you store it at and how hot you get it. In other words, "who knows". But if you filter it fine enough, heat it hot enough, keep it at room temperature and avoid getting around 57 F for any length of time, it will taste terrible but will stay liquid for a very long time.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

How long did it take them to crystalize the first time?

I have honey from my first pull this summer that is still liquid. I had honey from my last pull that was completely crystalized within a week or so after extracting.

I've reliquified some of the last honey by heating it to a little over 100. In less than a month, I've had some go back to crystals. It took longer the second time, but it still wants to crystalize pretty quick. (I quickly learned to bottle up what I will sell quickly, and I have started blending early and late honey too.)

This honey was beautiful almost clear locust honey. It's not crystallized yet, but starting to look like it might go that way. Oddly, I have a 1# jar of the same honey that doesn't look that way at all. The jars that are starting are very small sample jars. They were extracted early this summer.
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Personally, I'd put it somewhere near 57 F and help it crystallize smoothly and leave it that way.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Tree honeys often crystalize much slower than weed honeys.

In my opinion, high heat is to be avoided when trying to liquify your honey. I prefer to heat my honey to a lesser but still warm temperature, and keep the honey well warmed for a day or two.

I would put a few bottles in a pan of hot tap water, or hold the bottles under the hot tap water as it runs out of the faucet and see if that helps clear up the honey.