Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Let's form the "I Hate Winter Club"

I hate winter sort of. We have a schitzophrenic winter time here. -18 one day then 60 the next. My bees will be cuddled up in the hive for a few days then out en masse on my communal feeder I have set up on the deck restocking their pantries. Poor things probably don't know what the heck is going on, but at least with them making a showing at least once a week, I can see that they're still doing okay.

Well being in the piedmont of NC we usually have mild winters. But I do hate winter. Getting the girls ready and hoping for the best. I had one hive that wouldnt build up stores. Curious to see them fly. CU Dave

For you winter haters...

-10F here this morning with 28" of new show. Gotta love it...have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    For you winter haters...

Thanks Mike. I feel much better about our 24F and flurries.

Adam

I can't say I hate it but, I'm looking forward to spring! I'm a fireman full time and do lawn service on my days off. So now I am only having to do yards every other week so I have enjoyed the down time. I have been making new supers and bee equipment. My bees have been able to fly atleast some during the day but, not normally until midday. I miss being able to come home first thing in the morning and watch them head out for the day. But, our Maple trees will start to bloom in about a month so they will start to build back up really soon! I feel for you guys that have several months of winter left. I hope everyones bees do good through winter and make loads of honey come spring!! John

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    ...some people think global warming is bad
    A Nature or Discovery Channel program this week stated that the Earth's crust around the Great Lakes was mashed down buy as much as a 1,000 feet (300 meters) by the massive weight of the Laurentide Glacier bearing down on the American Mid-West, and that the land North of the Great Lakes is still rebounding from this weight like a rubber ball. Now that is both COOOOLD, and a good reason to hate Winter!!!
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Winter has not officially begun but I am tired of it already. Everyday this week it has been in the low to mid 20's in the morning which is cold for us folks in Florida. Seems like the cold just cuts thru you here with the higher humidity.
    It's Washington County, Fl not Wahington....my bad

mr palmer
    I am glad there are people who can love weather like that. as for myself I would be a popsicle in about 2 seconds and looking for a warm place to move to.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    For you winter haters...

we had 6 degrees but no snow, can you send us some?

Used to love snow camping, skiing, cross country, etc. Now I'm looking forward to Phoenix after the holidays.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Im really sad we arn't getting much snow here. Where only getting 2-4 inches. the rest will be rain and mixed crap. Then its gonna be 17 degrees for a high, with 40 mph winds. I'd like lots of snow, instead of the mixed stuff even if it meant some crazy cold temps. Oh, well. Our time will come.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Wow, I posted this thread and then did not check it until tonight and there are 50 responders. Thanks for making my cold day a little bit warmer. Columbus Ohio was 48 today so the girls got out a little bit. Good to see them. All hives are in good shape. Opened some and put a little styrofoam on a few more while enjoying the balmy day.

Thanks to all who took the time to make me feel a little better about my winter situation. Pife

We are in the midst of blizzard warnings here in NE Wisconsin. Not typical, although last year we have a picture on our cell phone of deep snow dated Dec. 9 of last year. Last year was ridiculous with lots of snow. High wind gusts expected over 40 mph, lots of snow, advisories not to travel. Some winters we don't even have snow till after Christmas. Spike the eggnog and put another log on the fire!

I love winter! Sledding with the kids, building snow forts, snow ball fights. For those who played in sports during high school, I compare it to the offseason of football. It gives me time to relax and prepare for the next season. If beekeeping never had an offseason I would probably burn out and find something else to do. The offseason reinvigorates me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123