Default treat for varroa in the winter?

any ideas of how to treat for varroa when the temp. is cold? Found a dead bee on the landing board this AM, 39 degrees outside, predicted the same or 5 degrees cooler tonight. The bee had one set of tiny deformed wings, and one set of normal wings, making me think of varroa mites. No mites seen on the dead bee... I'm guessing the oils and menthol wouldn't work properly without it being very warm. thanks for any thoughts.

Default Re: treat for varroa in the winter?

Oxalic acid is the only thing I know of that isnt affected by temperature. I did an oxalic acid dribble here in central Arkansas last week on a warm day here the temps were in the 60's. Several experienced beeks on this forum told me that would be my best bet. Sure appreciate all the great info on this forum.

Any type of winter treatment being considered would have to insure that the bees aren't forced to break cluster such as on an unusually warm day when cleansing flights are in progress.

It would seem like a powdered sugar treatment, blown in with a bellows duster after opening the entrance reducer would not be intrusive. With little or no brood present, logic tells me that it would be an ideal time to dust but I have no experience with doing this in the winter or it's effectiveness at that time.

Wayne

I am fresh with bees. But it seems to be a bit dangerous to drip, and therereby chilling them.

I would presume that vaporized oxalic crystals would be less intrusive.
    Think the Beewrangler has something about it at his site.