Hybrid View

Default Creamed/Ground Honey ?

I have made creamed honey using the dyce method, also used flavorings in the same method. Today I took some crystalized aster honey and put it thru my grinder once. It turned out a very light color ( absorbed air) and a creamy mixture . I added a couple of drops of yellow food coloring and one drop of apricot flavoring from lorann,and run it thru the grinder again . The result is a yellow creamy tasting apricot flavor that might not recrystaize as hard as regular creamed honey. Has anyone else done a simular process ?
    Thanks Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

Default Re: Creamed/Ground Honey ?

It sounds good, what type of grinder do you use and what sort of quantity are you doing
    Honeydew

I used a new electric meat grinder that I recently bought at walmart. I only did one pound
    today to see what it would look and taste like. My brother in law told me once that he used to grind it to make the crystals finer. Tomorrow afternoon I will grind some of my rasberry creamed honey that I made earlier but it gets hard to spread on toast....Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

I don't think a meat grinder will grind the honey into smaller crystals. The holes that the meat are extruded through determine size. Remember that the crystals need to be smaller than 50 microns if you want a creamy mouth feel. I've looked all over the place to find literature describing the grinding process but have found it to be proprietary. There is a mention of using a meat grinder in some descriptions, but if you look closely, it is only used to break the creamed honey up to facilitate mixing.
    Someone on this forum uses a manual flour mill and claims it works.

Smile Re: Creamed/Ground Honey ?

I ask one of the chemistry instructors how to power crystallized honey and why. His response was forget it. The time and expense is getting clean dry crystals like table sugar or salt. You will need the apparatus to completely dehydrate the crystallized honey. It is much easier to buy a pound of creamed honey you like and use it for the seed crystals. You only need to buy it once, just hold back a jar for the next batch. At a 9 or 10:1 ratio a pint goes a long way

Rick, how long did it take for that Raspberry creamed honey to set up? Crystal size (and hardness) is related to the speed of setup. My goal is to have it set up in two weeks so that I can set a jar on it's side and not see any movement for a couple of minutes.

It needs good seed, mixing at 65-72 degrees (both seed and honey) and setting at 57 degrees until it sets up. Also I always use at least 10% seed honey. I don't look at it like I am wasting it because I get it right back in a couple of weeks.

I make my first batch of 10 lbs using 1-1.5lbs of seed. Then in two weeks I make 110 lbs using 100lbs of liquid honey and 10 lbs of seed. It is never really hard. More like creamy peanut butter, but it depends on the temperature that you use it at.