Default How to crystalise honey?

A couple of years ago I would always have surplus honey which would naturally crystalise. Sales have increased considerably and there is no surplus to carry over. Is there a way to speed-up the crystalising process, to create ideal conditions?

Default Re: How to crystalise honey?

I just started my first batch of creamed honey using a starter kit. There are some videos here and there that are helpful. Basically, you take either a starter "seed" that helps your honey crystallize very smoothly or you add a store bought supply of creamed honey and add that to your liquid honey. I think the ratio's are 1 part creamed honey to 10 parts liquid honey. Mix well and let sit in a cool area until the honey is "creamed" or "set". My first batch is only a day old so I'll be interested to see what happens in the next week or so.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Hi, check out "natures nectar blog" Jim Kloek has a video he posted on how he makes creamed honey.

There is a proper temp to have the honey at to speed crystalization but off hand I don't know what it is. It's around (answer in next posts) deg F.
    Last edited by Beeslave; 12-02-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Keep it in the fridge to promote crystalization.
    Keep it in the freezer to prevent crystalization.
    Keep it at room temp and eat with a spoon!
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

55 degrees

Web Search Dyce Method of Cream Honey Production or something like that. Dr. Dyce of Cornell University, deceased.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

The closer you are to 57 F the quicker it crystallizes. The more seed is in it (other crystals) the faster it crystallizes. The less moisture, the faster it crystallizes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You can add a thermostat controlled switch to a freezer to hold at 57F. I make 500 1 lb tubs at a time which barely fits in our freezer.

So, I guess I have been wrong. It does crystalize faster in a refridgerator. As long as that refridgerator is maintained at a 57 degree temperature. I'll have to remember that.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I read about keeping it around 55 degrees and the instruction sheet that I received with my kit said to keep it in the fridge. Trouble was that the fridge was a lot colder than 55 degrees. The garage that the extra fridge is in is around 45F to 55F depending on the time of day so it's all out there on a shelf right now. We'll see......
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I stacked 15 cases of quart jars(2010 yard rent) on my 12" thick concrete floor in my honey house. The cases were stacked in 4 piles and the heat was turned off in the honeyhouse. The bottom cases crystalized and the rest just started. With that observation I would say that it will granulate faster on the floor than sitting up of the floor.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

If you don't thoroughly mix in seed crystals (less than 50 microns size range) it will have a gritty mouth feel. If you are trying to make creamed honey then adding seed is usually necessary. If you have a market for a more grainy honey then no seed is needed.

Thanks to all - I do want to crystalise the honey rather then cremed.
    It seems that I need to get an old chest freezer ( our temperature here never goes as low as 55 - 57 F / 13 - 14 C during the day even in winter) and fit a thermostate. On the other hand staking the jars on a cold concrete floor and let nature do the work sounds very tempting. Many thanks.

You could hold back some crystalized honey in the future and use it as seed to speed up the process.