Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: CCD and Beekeeper Health?

Another thing...... do you drink a lot of diet beverages or eat/drink a lot of sugar substitutes in your food?

Anyone else in the house that is having health issues also?

Because many of you have mentioned lyme disease (I've had it my wife has and may still) I reccomend the documentary Under Your Skin. You'll learn more about Lyme than you really want too.

>they actually say it is absolutly caused by a virus.
    Me. My hives,experience, and location make a good "data point"

My bees too have ccd (for 5 years now)
    My health has deteriorated too, not so drastically,
    I attribute it more to ageing. 1 handed typing sucks
    Since I have devised a half-assed treatment for the bees
    my level of angst about that has reduced
    I feel the responsability for my friends/servents/slaves
    despite the extra work

>30 colonies this past year and had 23 +/- lost to CCD
    What percent WL (winter loss)
    >The CCD hives had very few bees
    1/2 to 1 cup?
    >or any other ideas
    Well like many virus IIV(6) is sensitive to VC (vitamin C)
    The treatment is labour intensive
    VC sometimes work on human virus too,
    could be a treatment for you too, if your problem is viral

Hal, in the spring, summer when observing your bees
    note if they do "funny" movements of their rear legs
    I am convinced that 'rear-leg symptoms' are key to
    positive/negative diagnosis
    Still awaiting any confirmation/denial on that, hope you can help

I've written many post about ccd, here and elsewhere, search archives
    Best of luck

dave

CCD still somewhat of a mystery, but in suspected CCD colonies both Nosema Ceranae and a virus genome together have been found in these colonies.

Nosema Ceranae can be transmitted to humans, and although I am unsure of how it affects us, I do know we need to be very careful with cleanliness and hygiene when working our bees. Bees spread N.ceranae when packing bee bread into cells, then feeding contaminated bee bread (and parasite) to their young. If we ingest N. ceranae, (which in bees is an intestinal parasite) our bodies are the perfect temperature and moisture to sustain their life.

Look on "scientific beekeeping.com" for the article called "The Nosema Twins, Part 1"...

I share your concern...

Hi all,
    All - The stress test for my heart has given me the comfort to say that this is not heart related.

All- I have had a tick bite early spring and was tested 2 weeks after and was tested again 4 months later as a follow up. No Lyme disease I can have this tested again.

Stonefly- My house is all electric. I do have a coal stoker stove that I have just fired up this past Friday. No monoxide issues to deal with.

Bliss- No lead issues and I don’t like soda. I have cut back on my coffee intake and stopped drinking beer till I get this figured out. I have been diagnosed with Epstein Barr - chronic fatigue as a last resort. This is the catch all if the doctors can’t figure out what is really going on.

LoggerMike got me thinking about MOLD.

The reason I think the mold is on the right track is that when I picked up the 400+ boxes from grandpa’s estate. These where idle for 4-5 years with foundation drawn. 3 years ago I started cleaning these up and shortly after I had my first episode. I did not realize at the time that mold may be involved. Hence the chronic fatigue diagnoses.

I have been good till this last episode and put together a timeline to include the first incident. You see this past August-September I pulled some more boxes out of storage and started cleaning these up.

October I started to come down with a repeat of the chronic fatigue symptoms. I did not put the first and second together until I had included the Mold.

Mold I think is the key to both episodes and fits the time line. Hopefully the docs can fix me now. I still have plenty of tests to go through and will give you all an update as this unfolds. I recommend that if you all clean up boxes wearing dust masks at a minimum.

Thanks all,

Hal

I have a close friend that was diagnosed with lyme disease a couple of months ago. Had some of your symptoms. Just got word today that they changed the diagnoses to ALS.
    Regards, Barry

A friend of mine with several thousand hives told me that some years back, the crew that was cleaning out moldy deadouts started coughing and feeling bad. They thought it was the mold so started wearing dust filter masks.
    You will notice when cleaning deadouts, there are several colors/types of mold.As you scrape you can see the spores forming a small cloud .
    This may not be your specific health issue, but it is wise to at least wear a dust mask. (I cant stand respirators)
    Best of luck to you.

Barry, I am sooooo sorry to hear about your friend with ALS. A colleague of mine was diagnosed with that 5 years ago, and he passed away earlier this month. There is nothing they can do for it. He was only 60.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

All,

Good news! It looks like the mold issue is real. I told the doctors about the mold connection. She had me go in for a sputum test and a chest cat scan. Turns out I had a major infection in my nasal and chest/lungs caused by mold. After 3 weeks of cipro @ 500mg twice a day I Feel like new. I hope that the antibiotic did its job and killed the infection so it will not grow back. I would like to thank you all for your help and especially logger mike for bringing up the mold connection. I would have never put that together.
    Mold is a real issue. One I would have never considered. Make sure you use proper protection while cleaning up boxes.
    Thanks again to all,

Hal Mack

Hal, thanks for the update, and congratulations on the good news! Hope the treatments take/took care of it for you.

This is a good heads-up for us to wear some type of respirator when we clean moldy hives in the future.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

if your suffering from CCD like symptoms, we'll never know what happened to you because you'll just disappear, much like the bees in the hive are just not there.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12