Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What is this?

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  New Bee 
#1 · (Edited)
I was watching my hive this evening. Three times bees emerged with one of these in their clutches The first two dropped off the platform to the ground and wrestled with it before taking off with it. The third time I intercepted the pair and retrieved the prisoner for identification. The prisoner appeared to be dead.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
They look like partially developed pupae of the honey bee. Did you go into the hive lately for inspection? Sometimes brood comb can be inadvertently broken; the pupae exposed and the house or caretaker bees will remove them and take them out of the hive. It might also be some hygenic behavior of the bees that are removing dead or diseased brood.

#4 ·
I haven't had a lot of experience with robbing to know if that would cause brood to be damaged and be removed.

It could be the weather; either chilled brood or weather that has been too hot [in Australia ?] for the bees to cool the hive without adequate ventilation in some parts of the brood nest. I don't have my hives where I can observe them all the time, but I see them take out pupae or larvae after inspections. There have been a few times when I have seen partially developed brood left on the landing board before I started my inspections though.

I don't think it's anything to worry about for now.

#7 ·
Don't know for sure, but apparently varroa mites have not been found in Australia,...yet. I suppose it could be virus anyway.

"USDA ARS scientists Dr. John Harbo and Dr. Jeffrey Harris at the Honey Bee Breeding Laboratory in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, have defined and tested a trait of the honeybee which appeared to suppress mite reproduction (SMR). Recently it has been better defined as "varroa sensitive hygiene (VSH)." This is a form of behavior where adult bees remove pupae that have reproductive mites but do not disturb pupae that have mites that produce no progeny." > http://www.beebehavior.com/bee_enemies.php

It probably wouldn't hurt to do a sugar roll test now and then.

"The mite occurs in beekeeping countries throughout the world but has not been detected in Australia. There are several surveillance projects for early detection of an incursion of varroa at and near shipping ports. Beekeepers are encouraged to test their own hives for varroa using the simple sugar shake (or roll) test described below." > February 2010:
http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/notes/agg/bees--and--wasps/ag000-sugar-shake-test-detection-of-varroa-mite

#9 ·
It's springtime over there, correct?
Your picture shows a partly matured bee pupae.

Have you applied any kind of 'treatments' to your hive lately? Some treatments can effect developing brood, which then die and are removed from the hive. Just a thought.

#10 ·
It's very nearly summer here - but really there is very little difference between late spring (Oct/Nov) and early summer (Dec/Jan). I mean you may get hot periods followed by cooler ones, humidity and storms and dry spells where the a/c does not have any water dripping out of it. Right now we are in a La Niña period and it is much more humid than the last few years.

We have had some really quite hot days this month and the bees have been bearding even though the hives are in partial shade for most of the day and protected from the sun in the afternoons. I have now installed migratory lids with a second entrance so this should improve ventilation.

I have not used any treatments whatsoever.

#13 · (Edited)
Concerning AFB. "Has anyone got any thoughts/experience with the early stages in a hive?"

I don't, but do have these thoughts. The queen can lay anywhere from 1000 to 2000 eggs a day, so eventually there is a lot of brood in various stages of developement. Does every egg layed grow successfully into an adult bee? For whatever reason, can something go wrong? A pest, disease, a genetic defect [white-eyed drone] from inbreeding? The metamorphosis from larvae to pupae is a complicated process!

Seeing a few pupae on the landing board or being carried away, may be just the normal hygienic behavior of the bees. It is one reason why they are a successful insect.
If 6-10 or more larvae or pupae are seen everyday, that might be a reason to be concerned. [It could even be a positive thing?] Again, I can't watch my hives everyday and keep a tally of what is going on around the hives.

#14 ·
Thanks to all who responded.

I did get my mentor to come and have a gander and we looked at the outside of the hive and he thought that everything was OK. The plan was that we would have a look at the brood box the next morning but it was pouring with rain then and since it has been showery all the time so we have not had any chance to do that job.

In any event the bees seem to have stopped throwing out carcases in the last day and a half.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.