Default winter varroa tx

hey everybody,

wondering about what varroa treatments can be done in cold weather. Thought my mite count was lower than it appears to be, so i think i will need to do some chemical treatment if they want to see spring.
    What works in cold weather? what do you guys recommend?

thanks

pablo

Default Re: winter varroa tx

I use oxalic in the vapor form... it actually works better when the hive is broodless, which is the fall/winter. Just treated my hives this week.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    I use oxalic in the vapor form... it actually works better when the hive is broodless, which is the fall/winter. Just treated my hives this week.
    Can you elaborate more on this? How do you do it, at what temps, what concentrations, etc? Thanks.
    I have three hives that I'd like to treat now during a warmer day (above 40*F). I'm thinking that with reduced or non-existent brood, the mite kill would be high and the hive set up well for spring build-out.

Any other thoughts appreciated too. Paul
    Zone 4a-b

I have changed my methods somewhat to get a better mite kill. I now vaporize 3-4X in August, early September. I no longer treat in the winter. I've found that I get stronger winter bees this way. I treat once a week for 3-4 weeks. I found that treating in the winter, while bees were in cluster did not result in the types of mite kill I wanted. Too many mites survive the winter because the cluster doesn't really open up during the treatment period.

Thank you. I've been reading about Oxalic acid treatment methods. I appreciate hearing how it worked for you and your adjustments. I was thinking that treating when there was no brood, and a smaller bee population that there would be a better mite drop. I wonder how it would work if applied on a winter day when the bees broke cluster and were out and about? I sometimes see that happen mid-winter here in Killington when we have an extended warm spell.
    I realize that a fall treatment is preferred by many.

Next question: How do you vaporize your Oxalic acid - which tool(s)/method do you prefer? Thanks again. Paul
    Zone 4a-b

I use the Heilyser vaporizer. If your mite levels are high you need to protect your winter bees with some treatment in the early fall. If you treat with something else in the fall you shouldn't need to treat with OA

Thanks again. Paul
    Zone 4a-b