Default Can I store bottled honey in unheated shed?

I don't want my bottled honey to crystlize. I was thinking I could store the cases in an unheated shed. Some are in glass and some in plastic.
    Is this OK?

Default Re: Can I store bottled honey in unheated shed?

Sure it is okay. It won't have much of an effect on whether it cyrstallizes or not, or how soon.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

If the shed is unheated it will crystalize quicker than if it is stored where the temp is. above 70 deg. All honey will crystilize over time,some quicker than others, it depends on what nectar it was made from. Jack

If the temp drops between 50 and 70 degrees your honey will start to crystallize, the cooler the faster. Yes, temp does effect crystallization.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

I thought it chrystilzed fastest between 50 and 70, and very slowly if colder or hotter? It would be frozen in short time.... Now I'm confused?

It depends on the temp of your shed. If it maintains a freezing temp you will be OK. If it straddles the Dyce temperature of 57F then you will get crystals. The nectar source and the introduction of any seed crystals or dust can accelerate the problem. The higher the glucose concentration the more favorable for crystal formation. I would place one jar out in the shed and see what happens. If worst comes to worst, you can place your honey in a plastic bag and set in a water bath to dissolve.

All but a few honeys crystalize. Some faster than others, others slower than others. If you want to promote crystalization, then maintaining your honey at 55 degrees, or as HVH stated 57 degrees, will allow it to crystalize faster. Anything above or below the 55 or 57 degree temp will slow the process.

I answered his question. "Is it okay." Which, of course, it is.

alpha made a statement which makes me believe that alpha believes that the colder the temperature the faster the crystalization. This is not true at all. Sorry alpha, it ain't. It'll be less viscous, but that is different.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    All but a few honeys crystalize. Some faster than others, others slower than others. If you want to promote crystalization, then maintaining your honey at 55 degrees, or as HVH stated 57 degrees, will allow it to crystalize faster. Anything above or below the 55 or 57 degree temp will slow the process.

I answered his question. "Is it okay." Which, of course, it is.

alpha made a statement which makes me believe that alpha believes that the colder the temperature the faster the crystalization. This is not true at all. Sorry alpha, it ain't. It'll be less viscous, but that is different.
    Yawn....whatever you want to believe but if you put it outside at 52 degrees and a second jar in a shed at 69 degrees the one at 52 will crystallize quicker.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

I thinbk you guys are missing the point that my shed will be under 40 degrees for the next several months.

69 in an unheated shed in Maine? I WISH!

Your question was, if i store my bottled honey in an unheated shed will it crystilize. The answer is yes. Jack

I store my buckets of honey in an unheated shed for as much as nine months. They do crystalize, eventually.

I have over 300 such containers in my building right now. Most of them will remain liquid during the next nine or so months while I use them. I am certainly not going to heat the space that they are in thinking that doing so will keep them from crystalizing. It isn't worth the expense. Just reliquify those that need it.

alpha, it isn't a matter of belief, it's a matter of fact. Believe what you wish to believe, it matters very little one way or the other anyway.

brac, you have nothing to fear by storing your honey in an unheated shed in Maine. It might crystalize before you use it. Just warm it up and use it when you need to.

How much are we talking about anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post
    Yawn....whatever you want to believe but if you put it outside at 52 degrees and a second jar in a shed at 69 degrees the one at 52 will crystallize quicker.
    You'll have to show me.

Do you believe that honey stored at temps equal to outside temps during the winter will crystalize faster than honey stored at a constant 55 degree temp for the same period of time?

My hope is that it will slow the chrystilzation by being in the cold.

It's just less than 100 pounds.

What are you going to do w/ it? Eat it? Sell it? Less than two buckets? I really wouldn't worry about it crystalizing. It will eventually. But, unless it was fall honey and you didn't heat it and strain it, it will take some time to set up. But, if you crushed and strained, then I would predict that it will crystalize somewhat sooner. Especially if it is fall honey. It may already be crystalized if it has much aster honey in it.

brac, do you have a hot box? if not they are easy to make. I made one that will hold two 5 gal. buckets, and if they are crystilize it will liquefy it back in two days at 110 deg. using two 100 watt. light bulbs Jack

Frozen honey does not crystallize. When thawed it will be as liquid as when put into the freezer, so freeze it asap after extraction. Once thawed the crystallization process continues.
    Sheri

Now why didn't I say that. I think his unheated space will be a freezer pretty soon. It was cold enuf to frost the windshields here and I'm south of our OPer.

Sooo... Is the consensus that frozen honey will not crystallize?
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

And here I thought honey granulated.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I found honey that was stored unheated for years. The honey was actually extracted in 1980.

Some was crystallized but alot of it was still free flowing, as free as thick honey flows.

It was almost black.