Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What Queen Rearing Kit to buy?

I use the Nicot/cloake board myself. The Nicot has a pretty good video that you can get which will help you. The polishing time of the frame is key. By all means graft, but be aware there is a learning curve. You might also want to pick up a copy of Increase Essentials, by Larry Connor. There are a few invaluable tips there that may serve you well -- one of which is, Strong Hives make Strong Queens. Also consider getting a cloake board.

Quote Originally Posted by HVH View Post
    You've got an empty spot lacking three frames. Do you run a second queen there or what?
    Interesting - thanks for the photo.

Yes You can have another breeder queen in that end also.

Quote Originally Posted by metrosean View Post
    am leaning towards the Jenter kit.
    both the Nicot or jenter work fine, and if you want to try grafting, graft out of the kit at the same time, you know then you have the right size lava, have two starters going. that way you will get some queens and see how good your grafting is.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by mythomane View Post
    I use the Nicot/cloake board myself. The Nicot has a pretty good video that you can get which will help you. The polishing time of the frame is key. By all means graft, but be aware there is a learning curve. You might also want to pick up a copy of Increase Essentials, by Larry Connor. There are a few invaluable tips there that may serve you well -- one of which is, Strong Hives make Strong Queens. Also consider getting a cloake board.
    I wonder if anyone has ever combined the Cloake board concept with a Snelgrove entrance built into the board. It seems that this would eliminate the need for turning the bottom board.

Smile Re: What Queen Rearing Kit to buy?

I was so sure that a queen Rearing Kit was the way to go but, after reading all the posts and a couple of you-tube video's, I am going to try my hand at grafting with 3x glasses from the dollar store and one of those 2 dollar Chinese grafting tools. I am also going to follow the methods that Mr. Bush posted from his website. I am still a little confused with the cloake board thing, and are all those queen cell cups from the bee suppy places created equally?
    Thanks,

Sean

Being in a constant state of confusion seems to go with beekeeping.

Having read Lawrence John Conners books, I think about him saying that you only graft what you can't see. Well, I have the over 50 eyesight problem too, so I have decided on the Hopkins method with a Cloake Board.

The Connor approach of grafting is the best for me, and I too have that over 50 problem. Try wearing those high power mag glasses like you see in hobby shops, they work great. You might also try making your own cell cups by dipping a water soaked dowel that has been shaped to acceptance. I have made a device where I can dip six at a time and after dipping a few times to build up wax I just twist them off and they are ready to use.
    My Cloake setup is made from a five frame nuc, I have a five frame super on top which I use as my upper Cloake assembly by just adding a custom bottomboard complete with a built in excluder and metal Cloake.
    The guys at North American Beehive in Jacksonville made these up for me and they work great. If you are raising your own queens as a hobbiest or sideliner you can produce high quality queens with this method. Don't be afraid of using the 5 frame Cloake, you might be surprised at the success.

Lightbulb Re: What Queen Rearing Kit to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by metrosean View Post
    I am going to try my luck at queen rearing next spring. I am wintering over 8 hives and am hoping.....

You could do both:

buy the Nicot system for it's simplicity and

use a proper grafting tool if you aim versatility.

You won't be disappointed.

I would like to throw my 2 bits in and say I would also op for the grafting needle and cells, it's much cheaper.

being able to see the larva is not as important as how you transfer it. I'm able to see eggs at the bottom of the cell a whole lot better then the larva i'm grafting. it's not until i get the needle out of the cell and holding it angled to see the gleem of light on there that i can just make out the rings of the ity bity larva. anything that can help improve your sight will be good though, especially if your just starting. Not to mention that grafting is fun, rewarding, and relaxing. i always throw on the classical music and make it an experience.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

so you just plunge the grafting needed in with out trying to get under the larva then pull it out if you got the larva it's all good if not you keep trying

i like seeing the larva while i scoop it up

I have seen a video where the video where they do it the girl is amazingly fast

What kind of tool do you use

Quote Originally Posted by Velbert View Post
    so you just plunge the grafting needed in with out trying to get under the larva then pull it out if you got the larva it's all good if not you keep trying

i like seeing the larva while i scoop it up

I have seen a video where the video where they do it the girl is amazingly fast

What kind of tool do you use
    I don't know if your posting in reply to me velbert, but I use a chinese grafting needle. I do plunge the needle down but I also do get it under the larva. In any case, the colony I set up to take care of the eggs are fed and have young bees added to them so that when the eggs hatch, they feed the larva massively. This makes it easier to graft. believe it or not it's easier to graft the smaller larva than older ones and thats the way it should be anyway, the younger the better.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12