Thread: oxalic acid

Default oxalic acid

Hi everyone I'm looking for information on oxalic acid.
    I have a couple of questions. Is oxalic register for use on honey bees in the USA?
    The literature says that it may kill eggs, larva and pupa. I have use oxalic in smoke and have not found any evidences of this .
    Have anyone found evidences ? Under what circumstances ?

Default Re: oxalic acid

it is not registered inthe USA. As for your question on effects on eggs lava and pupa, how would we no it not registered. Just kidding!!! I have not found it to be so

Quote Originally Posted by Beesforlife View Post
    Hi everyone I'm looking for information on oxalic acid.
    I have a couple of questions. Is oxalic register for use on honey bees in the USA?
    The literature says that it may kill eggs, larva and pupa. I have use oxalic in smoke and have not found any evidences of this .
    Have anyone found evidences ? Under what circumstances ?
    check out this study.

http://www.apimondia.org/apiacta/art...004/enzo_1.pdf

There is a lot of info at www.scientificbeekeeping.com
    Also university of Nebraska has a 155 page study I found on the internet. This should be the link to it.
    http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/entomologydiss/1/
    Dan

Thanks for the information. In the past I have use apistan in combination with formic acid, because of fear of apistan resistant mites and because I found that if you test bees around the strips there are almost no mites but you can find them in other frames.
    This year is my second using apivar and I started using oxalic in smoke. I like it because here is cold and is hard to find a long enough window of opportunity to use formic properly in spring or fall.
    My first application I had my apivar strips for 25 days and in the first 24 h I had a good mite drop.
    I can’t be more specific because out of 10 sticky boards only 2 didn’t get clean by the bees.

Does anyone know if there is anyone working to get oxalic approve in the USA?
    Is there any interest among beekeepers?

From what I've heard, the proses costs to much money. After going through the registration, & tests, it would be hard to make a profit on an item beekeepers can by at the hardware store for a couple dollars.
    Seems our Gov. doesn't take it upon themselves to do things like this. They expect a private company to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beesforlife View Post
    Does anyone know if there is anyone working to get oxalic approve in the USA?
    Is there any interest among beekeepers?
    Dan

Here in Canada our regional and national organisation worked together to get it approved.
    It really doesn’t make sense that you’ll need a money making drug to have the money to get it approve that leaves the beekeeper with only expensive treatments.