Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Warree TBH confusion

In my WP (Open Office) you go to Insert, Special Character, and then choose from the chart. A universal search/replace should take care of it.

If you are using an HTML editor, use this page to get your codes - http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i.../codehtml.html

I hope that helps!
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com

Or you can hit "control"+" ' " and then type e or E and it should add the accent.

Matt

OK. Thanks everyone. I did not omit the accent mark due to disrespect or laziness. I will fix this as time permits. If it helps stop people from calling the hives Ware (like wear) hives when they call me I will be very happy.

Oldtimer, when I talk about translation issues I don't think that they can be called errors, but rather that some things just don't come across as understandable when they are translated directly, as they often are when translation is done by a computer program. I spent years re-writing automobile service manuals that had been translated to english from japanese by computer, so that technicians could understand them.

Also, some words can be translated to two or more words depending on their context. Computers do not have the ability to determine context, so they simply translate to the most commonly used word. Read the book and you'll understand after you find yourself reading the same paragraphs over and over again. You realize what things mean eventually and then you see that if the text had been translated better you would have gotten it the first time.

The best translating is done by a human translator who's first language is the language that he or she is translating to.

Chris
    Last edited by beez2010; 12-21-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Hmm.... Well I can't do that cos I don't speak French. But I guess if it's just a computer translation, a beekeeper ought to be able to sort out obvious errors.

And Cacklewack thanks for that! I've been caught with not being able to do that myself & that way is so easy!!

Also I have to ask, you into chickens?

Oh, and just to add to the confusion, his name was almost certainly pronounced 'Vaarey'.

Well, as usual, Old Timer, you and I are having trouble communicating. I don't speak French either, which is why clarifying the book has been as much work as it has. The title of the book is "Beekeeping for All", not "Beekeeping for Beekeepers" and many who read it are not experienced in beekeeping. Many people who think they might want to keep bees using the Warre method may not get the information that they need to feel comfortable by reading the book, so they may give up the idea. What I have done is try to help these folks. They can build their own hives or buy from someone else if they want to. The information is free and they don't have to buy anything from me to get it.

I don't expect you to appreciate any work that I have done. Why I tried to be polite and answer your question is beyond me. I guess I am just a sucker for your abuse. Please don't ask me anything else, OK?

Chris Harvey--Teakwood Organics

www.thewarrestore.com

OK, well i've been through the thread wondering what I've done wrong. Can't find anything. But as per your wish i won't ask.

How about i assure you no abuse was intended and we move on from here?

Oh, if it's the chicken thing, that question was to Cacklewack, not you Beez.

Just curious as we have and enjoy some chickens. It was not an insult to you Beez.

Quote Originally Posted by buckbee View Post
    Oh, and just to add to the confusion, his name was almost certainly pronounced 'Vaarey'.
    Hey Phil,

Where does the 'v' pronunciation come from? Was Warré French?

Adam

Oldtimer,

If by into chickens you mean, "do you keep chickens?" then no I don't. However, it seems that MANY of my friends and customers keep chickens as well as bees, so I end up spending a significant amount of time around them...and I get to reap the benefits!

Best,
    Matt

Yes that's what I meant. I thought, Cacklewack, yes, surely.

I'm not a sentimental type guy but not so long ago my wife got some chickens, and they are very friendly and always glad to see us. I can see how some people get as attached to them as some people do to their bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    Hey Phil,

Where does the 'v' pronunciation come from? Was Warré French?

Adam
    Yes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12