Thread: wood for work?

Default wood for work?

I came into some great #2 and better 1x8 that I want to make into 6 5/8th honey supers. I want to do this on shares with a beekeeper that does woodworking but do not know what the split should be. If I provide the wood, screws and glue what is a fair trade for labor of cutting and assembly if they are lap joints. I thought 60-40 would be generuous. Any thoughts out there?

Default Re: wood for work?

I've heard of someone supplying all materials and paying $5/box to have the materials cut and assembled. I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but perhaps it puts a closer value to the service?

Best of luck
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

If he get 4 out of 10 and you furnish all the material. That's very generous.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Smile Re: wood for work?

I was thinking more like 6 or 7 to me and 4 or 3 to him> but for you ted anything

I say the first question that would be asked is how much board feet did you come across to determine how many boxes that you could get out of the lumber!

I wish I was better with a table saw and dado but I have so much wood I will need help and I love to trade. $5 per box is way high unless you are in Chicago or NY

I would think that a 60/40 split would be a decent offer, if you are supplying the lumber, glue and fasteners. The woodworker could utilize his share of the supers, or sell them to recoup some labor expense.

Thanks for all the reply's I have enough good lumber to make 1300 supers. But I am running out of room in the honey house and the wife wants her driveway back. So I need to get these made and put away or I would do it all myself.

I have a wood shop in Chicago, Midway airport area.