Default Formic Acid 24 Hour Fumigator

In response to another thread, I'm starting this one about an application method for Formic Acid. Here's a link from the developers

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/FormicAcid.pdf

I've been using this method myself and it works pretty much as described, costs me something around 50 cents a treatment. I don't use the HBH, but when using the fumigator I put 1/2 drop lemongrass in the mix, which reduces queen loss right down, in my case, to zero.

Default Re: Formic Acid 24 Hour Fumigator

Oldtimer,
    Had this article, together with few others, as FA treatment would be my first choice for varoa treatment.
    Feel more confident to use this method, when you already successfully used it. Thanks
    ==Northumberland County Beekeeper, Trent Hills, Ontario==

I made 24 of the fumigator boards this summer. I used them in HOT weather as tthe temps would not moderate - all over 90 F. I am very pleased with the results. I used HBH but am interested in the lemongrass oil too. I did alcohol washes before and after fumigations and had very good results. One thing I did that helped a lot was to replace all of my screened bottom boards with solid bottoms with tight fitting entrance reducers. I was having problems getting any sort of fumigation (thymol) with screened bottoms that I was trying to seal. I think the formic fumigators work in 2-3 hours to be honest, but am curious what others think. I did have trouble locating formic but finally had a 5 gal bucket shipped (90%) and used the hydrometer method to cut it to 50%. I would recommend this treatment to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by wglord View Post
    One thing I did that helped a lot was to replace all of my screened bottom boards with solid bottoms with tight fitting entrance reducers.
    Yes very important point, FA vapor is heavier than air and will just flow straight out. A lot of people using FA don't have success because they don't realise this.

I have had fairly good results using it on pads but its pretty nasty stuff to handle. Have you found that it causes metal nails, staples, etc. to rust?

Yes it can.

wg - what did you use for the boards/pads?
    Cheers,
    Paul VanSlyke

See the link in post #1. Sounds like something to consider, thinking myself about how this could be efficiently done on a larger scale.

Well one thing to simplify it, the bee space thing to allow bees into supers above the fumigator, is not required if you are treating hives of 2 boxes or less.

So i just nail four timbers together the same size as a box, and 1 3/4 inches high. Then a piece of aluminium gauze, an old towel, and an aluminium sheet over the top. Much simpler than those instructions make it look.

Ahhh,
    I guess I should have read the whole link that was provided.

I used the method as outlined here: http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/

in #3 that used the paper pads. I couldn't get my hands on the paper pads in a timely fashion so I used "mini pads" (took four to hold the volume of 50% Formic prescribed).

The paper pad usage seems to be an easier option than building the item in Post #1.

I did use HBH applied to a separate paper towel.

The 50% Formic was available to me in 1 gallon quantity ( one of the guys at the supply was a former bee keeper).

I believe I had better results than the Oxalic application of last year.
    Cheers,
    Paul VanSlyke

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Well one thing to simplify it, the bee space thing to allow bees into supers above the fumigator, is not required if you are treating hives of 2 boxes or less.

So i just nail four timbers together the same size as a box, and 1 3/4 inches high. Then a piece of aluminium gauze, an old towel, and an aluminium sheet over the top. Much simpler than those instructions make it look.
    Oldtimer, that sure would be a lot less work to build and likely work fine in warmer weather.?
    Queen mortality was a problem with early trials and I am not sure if it was the bee space, HBH or just more experience that has fixed that problem.
    (to a reasonable degree anyway)

I believe the bee space above was designed to allow heat from the brood below to warm the pad aiding in uniform acid release.

If treating during cooler weather, add styrofoam to the top of the cover over the air space.
    (keep the cool evening air from slowing the release)
    The bee space above also serves as a relief area, should any bees or the
    queen wish to escape the fumes.?

IMO, the supers should be removed for treatment not left on top.

BM
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JOHN F. KENNEDY -

Yes, the "bee space" I was referring to was the gap each side of the padded section. The 1 3/4 inch gap between the frame top bars, and the pads with the FA on them, is very important according to the people who wrote the article.

I did find it hard on queens, tried HBH but didn't like it, then just put a little OE on the pad to replace the HBH and this stopped queen loss.

Mite wipe pads work well on the top of the top bars of the frames. As well, those blue shop towels on cardboard slid on the bottom board works sweet. I use a drench gun (new)from a bottle of Ivermectin (cattle dewormer).