Hybrid View

Default Formic Acid 24 Hour Fumigator

In response to another thread, I'm starting this one about an application method for Formic Acid. Here's a link from the developers

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/FormicAcid.pdf

I've been using this method myself and it works pretty much as described, costs me something around 50 cents a treatment. I don't use the HBH, but when using the fumigator I put 1/2 drop lemongrass in the mix, which reduces queen loss right down, in my case, to zero.

Default Re: Formic Acid 24 Hour Fumigator

Oldtimer,
    Had this article, together with few others, as FA treatment would be my first choice for varoa treatment.
    Feel more confident to use this method, when you already successfully used it. Thanks
    ==Northumberland County Beekeeper, Trent Hills, Ontario==

I made 24 of the fumigator boards this summer. I used them in HOT weather as tthe temps would not moderate - all over 90 F. I am very pleased with the results. I used HBH but am interested in the lemongrass oil too. I did alcohol washes before and after fumigations and had very good results. One thing I did that helped a lot was to replace all of my screened bottom boards with solid bottoms with tight fitting entrance reducers. I was having problems getting any sort of fumigation (thymol) with screened bottoms that I was trying to seal. I think the formic fumigators work in 2-3 hours to be honest, but am curious what others think. I did have trouble locating formic but finally had a 5 gal bucket shipped (90%) and used the hydrometer method to cut it to 50%. I would recommend this treatment to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by wglord View Post
    One thing I did that helped a lot was to replace all of my screened bottom boards with solid bottoms with tight fitting entrance reducers.
    Yes very important point, FA vapor is heavier than air and will just flow straight out. A lot of people using FA don't have success because they don't realise this.

I have had fairly good results using it on pads but its pretty nasty stuff to handle. Have you found that it causes metal nails, staples, etc. to rust?

Yes it can.