Default So it's bear season,

It's bear season here in Massachusetts, and 3 days ago, 10 of my hives got torn apart by a bear. It's been back 4 times since, This morning I found him and caught him in the act, I snuck up on it, and aimed and shot, and mr sure shot, Missed!!!!!! But I hope he comes back some time tonight or in the mornings before Sunday. Moral of story is, even if there's been no history of bears in an area, still insure you have an electric fence.

Default Re: So it's bear season,

im sure im gonna regret not having a fence one day, but im to cheap to spring for one. I have seen bear where my hives are before I put them there. but in 3 years they havent been attacked yet knock on wood! hopefully I get around to putting one up before I have to learn the hard way.

Well just north of you in Hampshire County I live in bear country too. My hives are located at the southern side of Skinner Mountain State Forest. Since day one they have been protected by a 2.5 joule solar fencer. Today I checked the battery voltage, condition of the grounds, and fence voltage to be safe. The voltage was 8700 volts. My fence is 8 wires spaced 6" apart and the first wire is 4" off the ground which takes care of skunks and racoons.

Sorry to hear about you bear problems.

Good luck if you need any help give me a shout and I would gladly help a neighbor out.

Mike

put up an electric fence last weekend after hearing reports of a bear nearby-to much time and money invested-not to mention at some point these will be my retirement income-to not put a fence up-replacement value is too high especially when you have some decent bees.

A Mo. conservation officer told me to take a piece of bacon and wrap it around a pepper spray capsule and hang it on something near and above your hives. He said the bear can bite through the capsule when eating the bacon and he won't be back. I've not had bear trouble yet,but will try it if i do. Jack

Square,

The following replicates one of my previous posts. It costs money, but it works. I agree with a post above; the loss of a colony(s) by bear destruction will not only cost you money but also likely a year.
    Regards, Steve

ELECTRIC BEAR FENCE FOR BEE YARDS

I live in bear country and before I got my first colony I built my bear fence. It consists of three 16'X4' cattle panels, one cut in half to make a 8'X16' yard. Four corners consist of heavy steel pipe with fiber optics conduit slid over as an insulator. The cattle panels are secured to the insulation and off the ground. The panels are wired together with bare copper wire and soldered. This is the "hot" side.
    I use a Paramak brand Magnum 12 volt solar fence charger which is expensive but of reliable quality to charge the system. (Shop for best $)
    CO is very arid so I put an 18" wide "skirt" of sheet metal on the ground 6" outside the cattle panels & spiked to the ground. Chicken wire as suggested above would work. The fence charger is grounded to an 8' copper clad ground rod & all of the "skirt" is bare copper wired/soldered together & tied to the ground rod. System has been tested by the bears & it works well. Look at http://www.kencove.com/fence/76_Bear+Fence_resource.php for info. Good luck & be safe.

Good luck!

Square,

Additional instructions for a bear fence construction (somewhat different than mine) (see post above) can be found on page 32 of the following brochure: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/sam/dow-fencing.pdf

Regards,
    Steve

An electric fence in winter ! http://wildwoodhoney.com/apiary/jan/IMG_0075.jpg

Update. Bear problem was solved.

I do have electric fences in other bee yards,just not this one.