Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

beekeeper beginner from Slovenia

88K views 87 replies 42 participants last post by  Verify 
#1 ·
Hy... i want to share with you our beekeeping, that is quite diffrent than in other countries. We use our own AŽ hives, and keep them in so called beehouses.

This is traditional beehouse:

So you have your hives protected from weather conditions, you work from inside, keep all your tools in... so its much less work.

I am starting to build my own beehouse:

And our hive (we are using also top bar hive):

I will post some new pictures soon, if you have any questions just ask

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: beekeeper beginer from Slovenia

Keep them comeing, that looks realy classy for a beginner
I will show you next year when its finished.
This is my first mini "beehouse" where i have 3 hives:

Bostek, thanks for posting the pictures. How much honey per hive is expected in your region?
Hy... i think that average is 25kg, but this is not exact number.

Dober Dan, Kak ti kaj gre? I am in the Chicago area with 20 hives ampak sem Slovenc. Iscem recepturo za medeno zganje. Can you help?
Zdravo... pripravljamo se na zimo. Pa vi? Recepet za medeno žganje(če potrebuješ ti jih pošljem več):

http://www.kulinarika.net/recepti/11967/napitki/medeno-zganje/

Recipe for honey spirit (i hope this is right transaltion):
http://translate.google.com/transla...rika.net/recepti/11967/napitki/medeno-zganje/

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing the photos!

I just saw a NOVA documentary called "Tales From the Hive" that showed a beehouse that I think was in a German orchard. Same kind of thing where all the hives opened from the back into the honey house. Pretty cool concept.

#10 ·
Yes, this is very cool. Post more pictures. I remember reading & seeing pictures of something like this being done in some areas of the US around 100 years ago.

When you work them from inside & bees get out into the room, is there an issue with them getting back into the hive?

#13 ·
Thanks for sharing your culture with me across the planet! Without the Interweb and BeeSourceDOTcom...I would not have known about the craftsmanship of Slovenia's beekeepers!! Keep it up!!

I'd love to see more of how the world's culture's are adapting their techniques and equipment to their localized environments.....or even how within the US; how each region handles their variables?!!

That is a very elaborate hive I've seen pictured....hinges[for observation??]. Super nice HoneyHouse; your structure is coming along nicely and the 3 hive stand is very nice....is the height stand for bear control?

Thanks again, BeeSourceDOTcom and great layout showing some of your equipment bostek!! Let's see more of beekeeping in Slovenia.

#15 ·
These beehouses are beautiful and they teach what can be done. I would be interested in the way the bees are handled inside the house, what the frames look like, how the frames are supported and how the expansion of the individual hive is handled.
As a side note, I listen almost every day to RadioOberkrain.de and just love the music.
Take care and have fun

#16 ·
Hi Bostek,

I had the pleasure of visiting a Slovenian beeyard some years back. I can't remeber his name but he had a successful business mixing honey with Beetroot juice. Great Beekeepers in your country.

#17 ·
When you work them from inside & bees get out into the room, is there an issue with them getting back into the hive?
You just leave beehouse door and window(s) open, and they go out. No problem

Hello Bostek, Nice job!! Your quite the carpenter and craftsman. I have gotten violin wood from your country and It must be quite beautiful there! Thanks for the post! And good luck with the bees.
Thanks. Here are some pictures from Bled, and Soča (where they filmed Price Caspian)

Soča:
¸

http://socawalley.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html

Bled:

Could you please describe your box design?
You have 2 floors. This is typical AŽ hive. On bottom floor you have beequeen and brood, food and so on. There is a queen grid, that prevents queen to go on 1. floor. So you seperate honey from young ones. If you want, you can remove the grid and have brood also up. So that is some basic about hive.
You can have also 3 floor AŽ hive or some other versions.

And every floor has its own "door", that you can remove if you want(when you check inside). Otherwise you just look at bees thrue the net.
Behind the net you have container, where you put sugar solution, when they dont have enough to eat.

#20 ·
I think its good solution, if you dont have any other powersource nearby...i know some that have it for keeping away bears - movement sensors and sirens... because in some parts they have problems with them.
I have seen also that they use car battery and converter to 220V. That is also one possibility.

#24 ·
Very cool, I really appreciate you showing the interior set up. I've always wondered how things are laid out in there. Being completely different from anything here in the US any more photos you want to put up are greatly appreciated.

#26 ·
I wil show you, or record how am i working and so in spring... so you will see from begging how is like to work with AŽ hive.

I hope that's not a power line that's supporting your aluminum ladder

Nice pics.
Hehe... no... its telephone line, so no problem :) If it would be power line, i would go near that ;)

#28 ·
I am fascinated by any hive that lets me open the brood nest without lifting supers. I have a few details that I think I'm beginning to see.

1) Are the frames suspended on that metal rod we see in the back (front?) of the hive? Is there another in the front (back?)?

2) Is that a spacer across the back wall (from the point of view of the door)

#56 ·
I am fascinated by any hive that lets me open the brood nest without lifting supers. I have a few details that I think I'm beginning to see.

1) Are the frames suspended on that metal rod we see in the back (front?) of the hive? Is there another in the front (back?)?

2) Is that a spacer across the back wall (from the point of view of the door)
Yes to both, I have these hives and can take some more photos of them if you like. These hives are also double walled, ie insulated and have several other very nice features.
Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.