Default Help with honey fudge

Can anyone provide some insight or secrets on to make honey fudge that actually comes out like honey fudge? The first batch I made came out prefect. The next batch came out dry as can be and the next three batches came out like honey fudge sauce which while good on ice cream is less than satisfying as honey fudge. I used the recipe on the National Honey Board for Old Fashioned Fudge which requires the following:

1 cup honey
    2 oz. unsweetened chocolate or 1/2 cup cocoa
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2/3 cup milk
    2 Tablespoons corn syrup
    2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
    1/2 cup nuts, coarsely chopped
    Butter a 9x5-inch pan. In a 2-quart saucepan, mix honey, milk, chocolate, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted and honey dissolved. Continue cooking, stirring frequently until mix reaches 236F on candy thermometer or at soft ball stage. Remove from heat; add butter, cool to 120F without stirring (bottom of pan will be lukewarm). Add vanilla and beat vigorously until candy is thick and loses its gloss (will hold shape when dropped from spoon). Add nuts quickly and spread evenly in pan. When firm cut into squares. Serving size 2 squares.

I heated the fudge to 236 degrees, took it off the heat and added the butter, waited for it to cool down to 120 degrees and added the vanilla, than stirred it with a spoon. It never really thickened up so I added it nuts and put it in the refrigerator. It looks like honey fudge sauce. Can anyone help me on what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

Default Re: Help with honey fudge

Fudge is a tricky undertaking. Typical issues are runny (as you had) or turning to sugar. I'm not a fudge expert but I've had all those issues. It has nothing to do with using honey and everything to do with making fudge... I'll bet there are a lot of tips out there on the web.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Growing up we made fudge all the time. When the fudge would not make right often the thermometer was bad. Hope this helps. I will have to try the honey fudge sounds good.

My grandmother uses Fluff in her fudge nowadays. She used to make it like the original posters recipe but she likes the fluff recipe better because its harder to mess up. Heres a recipe from their website and I'm sure there are tons more out there:

http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/page...ail_fudge.html

I cant really comment since I've never needed to make fudge. If I need some I just go see my grandmother

Candy making is very temperature dependent, make sure you have a good thermometer as Coolhunter mentioned.

It's also very dependent on the humidity - I had a relative that worked at the Fluff factory, and they adjusted their recipe daily - and it was small variations due to the relative humidity in the air that day.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

I never have made or eaten honey fudge. But it sounds great. If you want a new tasters opinion just send a half pound or so, and I'll sure be willing to test it.
    Laurence
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

As the above posts mentioned check your thermometer. I make regular fudge (will have to try the honey fudge) and I test my thermometer prior to making every batch. Just a few degrees one way or the other makes a huge difference in the end result.

My wife makes homemade fudge at Christmas time and are trying the above recipe. A candy thermometer is almost a must to get consistent results. Temperature for soft ball needs to be adjusted for your altitude by testing the thermometer in boiling water. Let water boil for 10 minutes with thermometer in water. If boiling temp is 206F as it is for us, adjust soft ball by 6 degrees down to 230F. Beyond that there may be some slight discrepancy in the thermometer itself and we tweak final candy temps by trial and error. If too dry - use a lower temp. If too soft or runny - use a higher temp.

The air humidity is also a factor as the honey in the final product can absorb further air moisture. If humidity is high add 2 degrees so candy is drier. If it is very low consider taking a degree or two off.

I tried this fudge and I found the first batch lacking a little bit in sweetness, but the second batch seemed to be sweet enough. I did it the same except I cut out the nuts and I used whipping cream instead of milk, then the second time I cut the amount of whipping whipping cream in half to 1/3 cup. I didn't find it runny, although it was not quite as hard as I had hoped and a little sticky.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin