Default Randy Oliver spoke at Virginia State Beekeepers Assoc Mtg

Randy mentioned that DWV -- Deformed Wing Virus -- is becoming spreadable without varroa. Then, looking below at another beesource thread on DWV, Oldtimer posted that DWV, although rare at the time, was present long before varroa got introduced. Learned something new there.

Anyway, is anyone seeing evidence of DWV moving without Varroa as a vector? Randy made it sound like California beeks are seeing this. Can anyone confirm?
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

Default Re: Randy Oliver spoke at Virginia State Beekeepers Assoc Mtg

I have seen some signs occasionally, Randy talked about the same thing this past week at the TBA convention. To be honest, when he talks he portrays that the beekeeping world's "sky is falling" if you know what I mean. Do not freak out at everything he says.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

DWV is present in most hives.

I find it hard to believe that there are any beekeepers in California who don't have mites to vector the virus. I can believe that there are bees in California that are so heavily treated so often that mites are hard to find...but such treatments ALL create stress on the colony (especially if used to the point where mites "can't be found"), and such stresses are likely increasing the spread and/or amount of visible symptoms of DWV.

deknow

I have had hives this fall have dwv without high mite counts. Several have had spotty brood with brood(larvae) not surviving simulat to pics in ABJ Nov issue. We had great fall flow and made a good amount of surplus honey. Broood patern looked really good in sept, some hiveshad vert few mites some had more but less that 1% high. You would have to look a longtime to find a mite on a bee and drone brood had mites but not high numbers. I talked to David Hackenberg last week, alot of beeks are seeing simular things. Alot of beeks have gone thru many many queens this summer and tose with young queens seem to be having less problems...mine are the same way. ALot of my young queens have 2 boxes packed with bees while older queens have 4-5 frames....going to FL next week and hope to get those straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    ..but such treatments ALL create stress on the colony (especially if used to the point where mites "can't be found"), and such stresses are likely increasing the spread and/or amount of visible symptoms of DWV.

deknow
    Really, how so?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

keith, i'm not quite sure what you are asking.

1. Treatments are stressful on colonies. Can you name a treatment that doesn't create stress? Dare I say "abnormal stress"? Every treatment I've ever used warned that some brood die off was to be expected. Every study I've seen shows that treated queens and/or drones have reduced fertility.

2. Colonies that are treated to the point where virtually no mites can be found are very likely to have been heavily (as opposed to minimally) treated.

3. That DWV is present, and largely latent in most of even the most healthy of colonies.

4. That stress...the kind of stress that challenges brood to the point of killing some of them, is likely to increase the susceptibility and/or visible symptoms of such a latent viral infection.

Absent a heavy varroa infestation, viral diseases, efb, and chalkbrood are generally seen as "stress diseases", and recommended "treatments" are generally designed to reduce stress (feed them, full sunlight)...only persistent problems indicate requeening (for "improved" genetics and/or a break in the brood cycle) or medication.

deknow

deknow

Hi,
    I know a lot of CA beeks, but don't know any that don't have varroa. Basically there's no way to answer you're question.
    So far this year, my 7 hives haven't had any DWV, but have had plenty of varroa.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    ...don't know any that don't have varroa. Basically there's no way to answer you're question.
    Yeah it does appear to be a major riddle, doesn't it? I'm not clear how Randy knows DWV is spread outside of the varroa vector, since I cannot imagine there being varroa-less hives. Suttonbeeman points to the fact he sees DWV symptoms in hives with low mite counts, so maybe that's the theory, there. I do not think Randy was crediting the USDA with making these findings, but he may have and I missed it. It sounded to me that he was relaying his experience there at his apiaries near Grass Valley.

His talk did not strike me as "the sky is falling" necessarily, but he made it clear that the viruses we see are continuing to evolve...nature's quest to survive stretches across nearly all species, big and small.
    Last edited by fatscher; 11-14-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling/punctuation
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

Just a little info about Randy, from my observations.

I've been to Randy's place, he does a lot of research, & writes for the american bee journal. He is respected by the community, & has many piers at UC Davis entomology dept.

Point being, he's right before he states something as fact. He will openly tell you if its a work in progress, or something he suspects.
    Dan

I have a vague recollection that Randy had indicated evidence for vertical transmission of DWV. Maybe it was found in sperm or eggs.
    Another huge virus has been detected (IIV) but I have not read the paper yet. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0013181

I'm not sure exactly what was going on in relation to this virus before varroa arrived, but it presumably existed, and must have been vectored somehow.

There seems to be considerable variation in susceptibility; last year I had a hive of hybrids, half with a yellow stripe, half without. DVW was present at a low level, and only black bees were affected; I never saw one with a stripe. I concluded that a single patriline was especially susceptible, and others have reported seeing the same thing since. Low levels of virus don't necessarily imply very high varroa infestation!
    RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

I'm looking forward to getting some answers. I've suspected a viral etiology for some time and have had reservations about nutrition and pesticides as far as causal agents.