S. W. \'Washington State, Columbia River Gorge

Default Good way to store supers filled with honey?

I had a hive die out and am left with a hive body and a semideep super filled with honey. Extraction is not entirely out of the question but I would rather not. My options for storage space are my garage or a house that will be cold all winter. If the honey crystallizes, will the bees be able to use it next spring? I have two other hives--is putting the boxes on these a good storage option. Could put the boxes in plastic bags with para but do not want to risk contaminating the honey. What do you do, what would you recommend?

Default Re: Good way to store supers filled with honey?

Warm it up & extract it would be by far the best & safest way to keep this honey over the winter.

Keep it mouse tight but not air tight and put it in a place that will keep it out of the weather. I'm assuming you live where you get freezing temps so that will take care of your worry about wax moths and SHB.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

The only two good ways are frozen and mouseproof and beeproof, or on the hives where the bees can guard it. Or, of course, in a bucket extracted...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I know it sounds like a lot more work, but I think I'd go ahead and extract it. In my operation, I've got everything cleaned up and put away and the prospect of extracting one more minor load just doesn't gladden my heart.

My next thought would be to freeze it, which will take care of the wax moth eggs. Then you can store it for the winter and distribute it to other hives next spring or use the frames in your spring splits...if that's what you do.

Or, if you have a lot of hives, you could distribute the frames into other colonies that are light on their stores and pull out the outer, mostly neglected frames and replace them with the frames of honey. But in my neck of the woods, it's getting kind of late for this.

The more I think about it, I lean toward extracting them. My spirit is willing to extract but my flesh sure feels like procrastinating on this endeavor!

Grant
    Jackson, MO http://maxhoney.homestead.com

Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I agree with Michael frozen or on a strong hive. Bees take care of combs better than we can.

Store it in Qts.Pts. or 1/2 pts. Your stomic is also good
    Im really not that serious

I wrapped three supers with plastic wrap used by movers or in airports, I got it at Lowe's. Before completely sealing it up I put some dry ice (Walmart) to create a oxygen deprived environment.

I then set them on an upside down telescoping cover and covered them with a telescoping cover.

No problem with beetles or moths. Mice could still be a problem.
    Home is where the Air Force sends me.
    Alex

If u have any other hives, put the partially filled one underneath and the full one on top of a strong colony.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."