Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

risks of feeding syrup in inverted jar this time of year

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  denny 
#1 ·
My hives were light going into the fall. I was late feeding. We are having a (relatively) warm spell for this time of year, highs around 9C (48F) lows around 0C (32F). If I can, I want to put some syrup on the hives.

What are the risks/issues with feeding 2:1 syrup with those types of temperatures? I am using large mason jars inverted above the inner cover with holes drilled in the lids. The jars won't freeze and crack, but what about dripping onto the cluster? Can those temperatures cause the syrup to leak out onto the bees, and will that be a problem at those temps? Anything else?

Thanks!
Grid.

#2 ·
IMO You might want to look into one of the emergency feeding methods like either the candy boards or the mountain camp method if your hives are light during this time of year. Let alone it being to cold to feed since the bees will be in a cluster during cold temps & it would take them time to process the syrup to honey. Thats the reason the feeding is usually done in the fall for any or all the light hives beekeepers might have! Good Luck!

#3 ·
in my finding is that its toooo late to feed - at least in my area- i start my winter stores feeding sept 1 and feed until mid Oct.

any later and they just dont take it - from a hive feeder of any type but what you can do is open feed from a inverted jar - about 100 feet from your hives - they will find it and take it home - this is your best bet - but this is only going to give you about 2 lbs of capped food - per week at best

also what i do is figure about 5 gallons of 2:1 or HFCS will give you about 30lbs of capped winter stores - so i feed 10 gallons per hive
but this has to be done pre November - once we hit November - its no opening them until mid Jan. and thats just to check stores

best of luck - just try to get them feed earlier next year

#5 ·
I was late getting the feed on - started October 1. I managed to get 3 quarts into them, and with this warm spell, thought I could maybe get another. I am going to Mountain-Camp my hives this Saturday, so I'm hopeful all will be well.

However, other than the bees not taking it if it is too cold, are there other risks?

Grid

#6 ·
When there is a big swing between daytime and nightime temps.....the syrup will contract in the cool nightime temp, and then expand in the daytime temps,.. forcing the syrup out which drips on the cluster and can drown them out. I found that out the hard way, and now I make sure I get all necessary syrup feeding done in Sept.

If you think you have to feed them more now...maybe upend the jars at night and put them back on to feed during the day only.

#11 ·
That makes sense. What constitutes a large temperature swing in this case, any idea? I'm seeing 10C (18F) temp swing right now.

Grid.
I would notice the problem when the nightime temps were freezing & below, follwed by a sunny day with the temps in the 50s. Also, I wrap my hives in black for solar gain, which would increase daytime temps in the uppermost empty feeding chamber. I'd see syrup dripping out the bottom board.....:eek:

I would recommend the fondant approach, as well as syrup in frames, as others have suggested here. Good luck to ya!

#8 ·
Yup, way too late for syrup feeding, your only choice IMHO is to use the Mountain Camp Method as stated above, I personally use C&H Baker's Drivert with is 8% inverted which tends to absorb the moisture in the hive, my bees love it. The product is distributed by Domino and it's not cheap, I have used regular granular sugar as well. Good Luck .

BB

#9 ·
I would fill some frames with syrup and put 5-6 of them in a empty super on top of the hive. It's warm enough, and the hives are still generating enough heat that they empty them in 24 hrs. Probably could get 2 rounds done.The weather is suppose to be 10-13 degress for a few more days.

#10 ·
Too late in my opinion. I also agree with Denny. I used 1 1/2 gallon bucket feeders a couple of years ago and when there was a big swing in temps the warm outside air actually pushed syrup out. When I drove up I wondered what all the bees were doing outside the bottom of the empty box surrounding the bucket. I found that the syrup leaked all over the inner cover and was oozing out between the top of the cover and the empty box :doh:
That was what hadn't run down the inside. :eek:
Hard way to learn.
Look for baker's fondant (Dawn), make a big patty between wax paper and place it right over the inner cover hole. I have done this the last couple of years just as insurance and it works (for me anyways)

Perry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.