Default Hello from Western North Carolina

I wanted to say hello. I'm a transplanted Utahn who moved to Western North Carolina 3 1/2 years ago. Have some property and have been reading about the colony collapse problem but what really got me interested was trying the local honey here. OMG! I had no idea honey could be so good! This could be an expensive hobby. I'm not just talking about the initial investment, but the honey I've been eating all day, everyday!
    I have been studying, watching dvd's, ready to join a club and go to a beekeeping class when it's offered. Looking forward to your help and look forward to this exciting new hobby!
    Bruce
    Last edited by Beeheck; 11-10-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Default Re: Hello from Western North Carolina

Welcome Bruce,
    Be careful my wife & I got over 100# per hive this year. That's a lot of honey, & enough money to cover all our startup costs.
    Dan

Initial investment depends on how much effort is put into shopping around. There is plenty of overpriced equipment and unnecessary equipment sold to beginners. At the USF Bee workshops, everyone takes home a hive with two supers, smoker and veil for $50. The following class they take home bees for another $50. So if you are looking at over $100, and are not comfortable spending that much, shop around. There are free plans on Beesource if you can work a saw and hammer. A hive can be built with two ten foot boards. That is less than $19 plus a little investment in time.

Thanks for your reply but I was referring to all the honey I've been buying, not the equipment, but I certainly appreciate you can get so excited about getting started you go overboard. I'll make sure I'm conservative in my initial investment. As for building, I'm not so handy.
    Bruce