View Poll Results: Who makes the best hive bodies?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • BetterBee

6 3.77%
  • Dadant

15 9.43%
  • Brushy Mountain Bee Farm

19 11.95%
  • Mann Lake

21 13.21%
  • Rossman Apiaries

12 7.55%
  • Other

66 41.51%
  • Walter T. Kelley Bee Company

22 13.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Best Quality Woodenware

I guess Walter Kelley falls under "other" which could explain why they are out front.I really like the stuff I get from WTK.Its all good quality and works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Many factors go into being "the best." My vote goes to the place I get my stuff from - good quality and close enough for me to pickup my order - Humble Abodes in Windsor, ME. I just picked up 60 boxes last week.
    Mine too. And their frames are top notch.

Kelley, for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by scdw43 View Post
    Kelley, for the money.
    We seem to have a lot of fans of Kelley.

Mods, can you please add Walter T. Kelley Bee Company to the poll?

1 vote for homemade

The best I ever had was select from Dadant back in the 70's. Not a knot in them. But they cost about three times as much... never bought them again after I realized I could get "commercial".

Betterbee is about the only one who can claim they do anything differently. They make them out of 7/8" stock instead of 3/4" stock. But I doubt it makes any difference really except to make the boxes heavier.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Just came back from a road trip to Lancaster, Pennsylvania where I picked up a few hives from Forest Hill Woodworking. It's closer than BetterBee and it's really quality stuff. No sloppy edges and everything is finished well. The prices were good. I also like the idea of supporting the small business owner.

Kelley
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I am going to the Lancaster area next month and would like some contact information for "Forest Hill Woodworking" are they Amish made?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Many factors go into being "the best." My vote goes to the place I get my stuff from - good quality and close enough for me to pickup my order - Humble Abodes in Windsor, ME. I just picked up 60 boxes last week.
    Humble Abodes got my vote

http://www.humbleabodesinc.com/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Most of my equipment came from Miller Bee Supply and I'm quite happy with it...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Last year at the ABF convention in Orlando there was a company from New Hampshire that displayed their woodenware. They were hands down the best quality on display. Hampshire Hives, was their name, check them out, they make some great stuff.

Lets not forget to include Western Bee Supply (parent company Dadant)..I purchase from Mann Lake, and Dadant because of the shipping locations but some of Western Bee's "budget" equals other commercial quality lines. They also use ponderosa pine because its the local choice of harvest, and its a superior pine to many others. P.S. the prices are also very competitive.

I have had no problems with any of the major suppliers, but I like Kelley's frames.

I haven't had any Rossman equipment, but I've heard good things. Other than that I've had all of the above. All were fine. I've tried all of the grades pretty much as well. "Commercial" is always usable. "Budget" is usually usable. Most of my equipment is "straight run" from Miller Bee Supply in SC. I like it a lot.

When I buy woodenware (usually in the middle of summer when I do not have time to make it) I go to Brushy Mtn or Rossman. I'd probably give Rossman a slight edge. I buy maybe a quarter of the woodenware I use.

Today, I made 15 medium supers from Eastern Pine. Total cost $83.00. When compared to one of the main sellers of woodenware, I saved $8-9/super when you add shipping costs and they will last just as long. Of course I am not amortizing my tools or time as I already have the tools and since this is a hobby, time is free and it gave me a way to hone my skills.

John
    7 yrs, 7 hives, TF, small cell
    www.honeymeadowfarm.com, www.nhbees.wordpress.com

The prices are very good at Western Bee Supply in Polsen Montana and the quality is good. Freight might be prohibitive far east though.

Who cuts their boxes with the proper bee space?

Western Bees equipment is good quality and I am sure cut to the industry standard. That may not be perfect bee space but they worked good for me. I assume you find fault with equipment. What have you noted?

One nice thing about mediums is they are consistently 6 5/8" for the boxes and 6 1/4" for the frames... deeps vary from 9" to 9 1/4" for frames and from 9 1/4" to 9 5/8" for the boxes. I would guess most have a beespace with THEIR frames.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast