Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 39.9%
  • Walter T. Kelley Bee Company

Votes: 23 13.3%

Best Quality Woodenware

33K views 59 replies 41 participants last post by  Kamon A. Reynolds 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking through my collection of catalogs, I noticed that every single company states that their hives are the 'best-made' and the 'strongest'.

They can't all be the best, right?

I'd like to know where all of you get your hive bodies, who you think makes the best hive furniture, and why!

I added a poll with the biggest ones that I know about (on the east coast), but feel free to chime in with options that aren't there!

#35 ·
I haven't had any Rossman equipment, but I've heard good things. Other than that I've had all of the above. All were fine. I've tried all of the grades pretty much as well. "Commercial" is always usable. "Budget" is usually usable. Most of my equipment is "straight run" from Miller Bee Supply in SC. I like it a lot.

#36 ·
When I buy woodenware (usually in the middle of summer when I do not have time to make it) I go to Brushy Mtn or Rossman. I'd probably give Rossman a slight edge. I buy maybe a quarter of the woodenware I use.

Today, I made 15 medium supers from Eastern Pine. Total cost $83.00. When compared to one of the main sellers of woodenware, I saved $8-9/super when you add shipping costs and they will last just as long. Of course I am not amortizing my tools or time as I already have the tools and since this is a hobby, time is free and it gave me a way to hone my skills.

John

#42 ·
Walter T Kelley has 3 grades of woodenware. I have not tried their cheapest. I have 8 hives from them ranging from cypress to their commercial hives. I personally believe that no one makes any better products than they do. I have had absolutley no problems. their frames hold up much better than most that I've seen. I really like their SGX frame for the plastic foundation as I use wax coated Pierco. I have other brands in used equipment that I purchased which is not as high quality as Kelleys, especially the frames.

Ditto....I have felt MLake, Dadant, BMBFarm and Kelley's.......Kellies wins, no debate, You can feel the quality of their wood during assembly, driving nails through it and you can't beat those extra heavy, slotted top bar frames with grooved bottoms for ease of use and to switch up for comb honey foundation.....

#50 ·
I have bought from every supplier on the list. I have to give new beekeepers a reference to start with, and the boxes of catalogs I get from these guys. We use so much teaching over 100 new beekeepers every year that I try to get from those that will wholesale or discount or direct like Pierco. I make all the woodenware except for frame ends for less than I can buy it including labor and expenses. One of my students built a computerized saw to cut the box joints and is building a computerized frame maker now.

#52 ·
Michael Bush--Not only was it good woodenware said:
I agree with you Micheal. I've been getting my woodenware from Miller's for more than fifteen years. Beverly and Presley are great folks to deal with--very friendly, and their quality and prices are excellent. I'm close enough to them that I can pick up without paying for shipping. I'll be making a trip for 100 brood chambers next month.

#53 ·
Since this all seems to be a positive experience, how about anyone share a company that they've had a bad experience with.

I find Mann Lake frames to be of better quality than Kelley. I think "clearly superior" were the words I used. Part of it is that I dislike the beveled edge on one side of the end bars. Once trimmed to 1 1/4", it's not so much of a problem. Kelley wood is definitely softer.

I have noticed that some deeps have the frames placed differently in the vertical sense. What I mean is, my Mann Lake boxes have about 1/4" of space above the frames and 1/8" below for a total of 3/8" bee space. Some I have found are lower so that the whole 3/8" is at the top. It makes for boxes that can get pretty well gummed together.

#57 ·
I bought a few 8-frame deeps from Mann Lake to test for quality before committing to a bigger purchase. The opposite sides of the boxes were slightly different lengths, so I could never get them square. Also, when I stacked them they rocked, leaving a big gap on one corner--big enough for bees to get through. I kept rearranging them until I got the gaps to a tolerable level. Now, they have to stay married to one another--no reversing brood chambers. It was frustrating enough on a small scale that I decided not to get my woodenware from Mann Lake. I've had really good experiences with Miller's, so I'm sticking with them.

#59 ·
(Popping an old thread back to the top)

I like Betterbee. The extra 1/8" thickness makes for a more solid joint, especially when you are gluing, and the box is overall more rigid. I expect the extra 1/8" will add at least a few more years of service over a standard 3/4" wall box.

#60 ·
If you are buying alot and are going for a balance on quality/price... I'd have to say Mann Lake. Kelly's is no longer a company I do business with as they are hard to get a hold of and their frames are not uniform. Mann Lake has good quality Equipment, great pollen sub, and with the 2.5% back the price is definitely right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.