View Poll Results: Who makes the best hive bodies?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • BetterBee

6 3.77%
  • Dadant

15 9.43%
  • Brushy Mountain Bee Farm

19 11.95%
  • Mann Lake

21 13.21%
  • Rossman Apiaries

12 7.55%
  • Other

66 41.51%
  • Walter T. Kelley Bee Company

22 13.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up Best Quality Woodenware

Looking through my collection of catalogs, I noticed that every single company states that their hives are the 'best-made' and the 'strongest'.

They can't all be the best, right?

I'd like to know where all of you get your hive bodies, who you think makes the best hive furniture, and why!

I added a poll with the biggest ones that I know about (on the east coast), but feel free to chime in with options that aren't there!
    Last edited by BoroughBees; 11-10-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Default Re: Best Quality Woodenware

Always get the same brand as you have. I have equipment from most of the major suppliers and it doesn't always fit just right!!!!
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Well i pretty much build my own woodware, this way here i know exactly what im getting, everything fits perfectly and i dont have to pay for the expensive shipping & Handling charges!......

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    Always get the same brand as you have. I have equipment from most of the major suppliers and it doesn't always fit just right!!!!
    mike
    This is a good point, but I'm interested in finding out who makes the best woodenware in general. If someone was starting from scratch and buying all new equipment, who would you recommend they buy it from?

I go to the place that is closest, Dadant. Their commercial grade is soso, I started with select which is good. I think some of the companies you listed sell the same "brand" of wooden ware.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

If someone was starting from scratch and buying all new equipment, who would you recommend they buy it from?
    I would recommend that they buy from one supplier of their choice! If you want to know who i think has the best frames?...I would say Dadant has the best frames!

Walter T Kelley has 3 grades of woodenware. I have not tried their cheapest. I have 8 hives from them ranging from cypress to their commercial hives. I personally believe that no one makes any better products than they do. I have had absolutley no problems. their frames hold up much better than most that I've seen. I really like their SGX frame for the plastic foundation as I use wax coated Pierco. I have other brands in used equipment that I purchased which is not as high quality as Kelleys, especially the frames. They have free shipping 11/22-23-24. www.kelleybees.com
    So much to learn, so little time!!

MANN LAKE.........All the way!!!!

BBe-Tech makes a darn fine hive box for the money.

Too bad they only sell locally in the Omaha, Ne area.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by valleyman View Post
    Walter T Kelley has 3 grades of woodenware. I have not tried their cheapest. I have 8 hives from them ranging from cypress to their commercial hives. I personally believe that no one makes any better products than they do. I have had absolutley no problems. their frames hold up much better than most that I've seen. I really like their SGX frame for the plastic foundation as I use wax coated Pierco. I have other brands in used equipment that I purchased which is not as high quality as Kelleys, especially the frames. They have free shipping 11/22-23-24. www.kelleybees.com
    Are their cypress hive bodies rabbeted or box jointed?

for the most part all of the major suppliers sell good quality equipment, as previously stated if you have a supplier close enough to pick up the products you are buying..buy from them and save the shipping. I dont personally think there is a best.. they are all good.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Many factors go into being "the best." My vote goes to the place I get my stuff from - good quality and close enough for me to pickup my order - Humble Abodes in Windsor, ME. I just picked up 60 boxes last week.

What are those factors?
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 11-11-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: UNQ

unwarped wood, tight fitting joints, no loose knots, uniform straight cuts. Easily assembles into a "square" box. Fits well with other equipment. And of course, priced competitively and good customer service.

Walter Kelley does a great job on their wooden wares, have been using them for years. Tried Brushy Mtn. last year for a few frames and boxes and found not really any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BoroughBees View Post
    Are their cypress hive bodies rabbeted or box jointed?
    Box jointed, all of their hive bodys and supers are. Fit well, always come out square.
    The thing about Kelleys is every piece of their woodenware is made right at their only factory and headquarters where it is highly scrutinized by the employes. They are not one of your national companys that have someone build it for them. This is their only store.
    I've been in their plant on several occasions and know the forman personally. Every employe they have is friendly and helpful. Nothing second rate about their quality.

Keep in mind that everyones cypress has a tendancy to warp some. what I got from them one piece warped a little but the nails and glue straightened and held it in place. If price is not an issue I reccomend the cypress. I did not paint mine. I will buy more.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    I go to the place that is closest, Dadant. Their commercial grade is soso, I started with select which is good. I think some of the companies you listed sell the same "brand" of wooden ware.

mike
    I prefer Dadant, which comes from Western Bee in Montana; mainly because I like Ponderosa Pine better than any other wood.

Although we have purchased several hundred deeps w/ frames from Dadant, and the quality was generally good, we have since strayed. Christian likes the hand holds in the Deeps we got from Lapp's in Reesebille, Wis. He has long arms, and they are lower on the box than Dadant's. The wood seems to be a little straighter and less knotty also. The fit up for both was about the same.

We purchased a few Kelly frames, but prefer the thicker top bar(where it meets the end bar) of Dadant over the 3/8" Kelly. The top bar ussually is what breaks, it splits where it meets the end bar. A few years ago Dadant, went to a thicker bottom bar, which is not at all to our liking. That is one less row of cells for the same cost, and more weight to lift all day. I realize it is a small point, but Why change? We see very few broken bottom bars. The foundation did not fit well, so we ended up driving to Kelly for foundation, and shearing it to a custom length to fit the Dadant frames.

I will be looking at building the CNC equipment needed for in house production this winter. We will probably copy the A.I.Root deep and frame.

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    unwarped wood, tight fitting joints, no loose knots, uniform straight cuts. Easily assembles into a "square" box. Fits well with other equipment. And of course, priced competitively and good customer service.

I agree with what many have said, about sticking with one supplier for all you're boxes.
    If there's one close enough to you're house for you to pick up heavy orders, go with them.
    Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast