Default Using paulownia for hive boxes?

Is there anyone out there that has ever heard of paulownia? I have a friend who works w/ his dad and he has talked about using Paulownia for beehives. He isn't a beekeeper, but thought this may be good. It's supposed to be strong, rot and warp resistent, and it's very lite. (sounds as if it'd be perfect) He gave me a sample to check out. Here's a link to a site that I found. . . http://www.worldpaulownia.com/ Does anyone have any thoughts?

Default Re: Using paulownia for hive boxes?

I guess Im just old fashioned but what is wrong with white pine. why would I want wood from a tree that is native to china. too old to teach this old dog new tricks.

It is worth a try. Fast growth is usually not good growth for lumber but good design, glue and fasteners will help. I wonder where they get it considering it is an invasive sopecies in the Southeastern U.S. The only negative I see is -- "Paulownia wood is very attractive for wood-boring insects." The light structure almost like balsa it is used to replace warrants care in handling.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

That's the Princess Tree. It was touted as a good way to help mitigate carbon emissions because it is a very fast grower. They even encouraged kids to plant em. But, it is also considered to be potentially invasive, depending.

That being said, I've heard that its wood is very desirable because of some of the things you've already mentioned.

>what is wrong with white pine

Well nothing. It's about 1/2 of the weight which in my mind is a good thing. I'm currently using 10 frame deeps for the brood nest so less weight would be good. Also thinking that it may last longer (rot / moisture resistant) shows possible potential.

>"Paulownia wood is very attractive for wood-boring insects."

I caught that also. I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. Is this for the actual tree or for the wood after it's milled? I thought if it's painted and there's bees on the inside. . .

I guess "very attractive for wood-boring insects" is like a crack house on the corner. Everyone knows they have guns, dogs, and every imaginable way to keep intruders out, but they have drugs and money that intruders want.
    Wax moths, ants, termites I can live without attracting.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Very true!!! I'll have to do more research.

Anyone know if the bees will work the blooms on these trees. I have a nieghbor who has planted about 2 acres of these. Im always looking to a free food source for my bees.

whats the cost compared to white pine?? Id be willing to give it a test if the cost is comparable.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

My understanding is that the bees work the blossoms of the trees very well.

what's the cost? Well my friend has a saw mill so it should be very cheap. In Fl you ought to be able to find some local people that may have it. Look for the "mom and pop" saw mill guy. If you all are interested I'll post what I find out from my friend. I'm going to look into rough sawn not planed to try it out. I'll report back what I find. He said that they have a few logs currently.