Default One more from Wisconsin

I joined the community yesterday, at this point my plan is to start two or three colonies in the spring. For the most part I will be a reader and one who asks rather than answers questions. I look forward to learning from everyone.

Currently located in Racine but the bees will find a home in northern Wisconsin in the town of Harshaw.

Default Re: One more from Wisconsin

Welcome to Beesource.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Glad to see another Wisconsinite. Welcome! You'll find lots of great info here.
    Sheri

Welcome!

You've come to the right place to learn more about bees & beekeeping. Be sure to check out the "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum: it contains many useful tips for those just starting out.

I also recommend getting involved with a local bee club. Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers.
    http://www.wihoney.com/LocalBeeClubs.html

Welcome. Go cheeseheads.

Welcome to Beesource, Peter.

But,...Wow! that's a long way to travel; over 250 miles and about 4 hrs. 40 mins. according to Google maps. Are you going to have a friend, neighbor or relative way up there that can help with inspections once in a while? Also, Harshaw, WI. is very [almost surrounded] near some large northern state forests, so that must be bear country for sure, I would think. We haven't had problems with bears down here yet, but they are becoming more frequent visitors. I wouldn't know if the hives have to be protected with a fence right away after being set up. Be sure to get info. about that.

Many beekeepers starting out, tell how they enjoy inspecting and watching their bees quite frequently; about once a week, sometime more. If my bees were soo far away, I would have withdrawal symptoms in no time. Maybe you have a plan, . Good luck anyway.

Welcome Peter, starting with two is a great idea.

Welcome Peter,

Yes, bear country! The reading on this site will also help you select equipment (i.e. top bar or Lang). Lots of other decisions to make.....such as foundation or foundationless and even to what level of treatment regarding chemicals or not. There is a commercial beekeeper in Rhinelander (also bear country)...... Hanson.

Have fun and read alot!

BTW, we vacation/camp in Vilas and Forest Counties.