Default Hello from New England

A lil about me , I am from a small town North of Boston Mass called Ipswich . I work for a passenger railroad as a B&B mechanic aka bridges and buildings . I am a certified structual welder . As for my bee background goes , I have only helped my uncle back in the early 80s . I helped him collect the honey to be harvested , basically I was the humper . I now purchase honey from a local in my town , but he says 2011 will be his last yr doing it cause his hives are on their last legs . He`s on a fixed income and getting new ones is out of the question . I am pretty handy at wood work and want to surprise him with a new hive system ( Langs style ) . I have always been interested in beekeeping but never took my first step into it . This may be my chance to get more knowledge of the subject . Every yr I go to the local fair and first stop is the essex county beekeepers building to see the bees . I could watch them for hrs . Well guess I`ll stop yappn for now . If you want to know more or have any questions for me feel free to ask .

Jeff

Default Re: Hello from New England

Time to get started then!
    Come by our factory if you are looking for quality american made equipment!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Ipswich, I am from Northboro MA

I sure do miss fried clams and lobster, Clam fritters.

Take care and have fun.
    Come join the evening Chat between 9 - 11 pm nightly

Welcome Jeff, there are free plans to make hives.
    http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/6324.pdf

Welcome,
    The boxes are cheap enough, that it almost doesn't pay to buy the lumber & build them.
    Dan

pine is $0.85 a foot and cypress is $0.99 a foot here, where can I get supers for $5.00 or $5.82 for cypress, and like the credit card commercial says, the experience is priceless!

hello from the extreme northwestern part of the state, in the northern berkshires

Was at Crane Beach a couple weeks back. Lots of us around out here. Welcome.

Things cost a little more here, & I value my free time. Even though I don't have any. I do build my own screened bottom boards out of scrap 2x4's as they cost about $40 to buy a beefy one.

If you're pine is .85 per foot, & you use about 4' to build the hive. There's $3.50 right there. By the time you cut rabbits, make box joints, or dove tails.
    I understand you can't put a price on the pleasure of making them yourself. Even went out & got a router table for some of my bee projects.
    Enjoy,

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    pine is $0.85 a foot and cypress is $0.99 a foot here, where can I get supers for $5.00 or $5.82 for cypress, and like the credit card commercial says, the experience is priceless!
    Dan

You can go to

http://humbleabodesinc.com/

The budget boxs and frames are very good IMO

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

form Athol,MA.

Welcome Jeff,

If you're handy and enjoy woodworking, have the tools and a little time and expecially, if you have a source of free lumber scraps, by all means, try building the equipment.

I build all my own woodenware now, even the frames, though there will be those who try their best to convince me that it is cheaper, better, more economical or something to spend hundreds of dollars to buy them rather then build them myself in a few afternoons for free.

Everytime the discussion is raised, there will be those who will do their best to try to talk you out of it. They just don't get it. Try it and see if you like it. That is the only opinion that matters.

Wayne

Thx for the warm welcomes , its been really fun doing research for this . Makes me want to get into beekeeping this yr . But I am going to start my journey in bees in 2012 , as I like to be somewhat knowlegable on subjects . Actually I am making two sets of langs , one for the neighbor and one for me for 2012 . I will be looking into finding local classes also , or a toutor . I will post pics of the build in couple days , as I am just gathering my wood now .

Jeff