Default Greetings from WV

Good afternoon, All.

I'm not a beekeeper but I trying to learn and do as much research as I can. IF I do start a hive, I'm positive it will be a KTBH, as my interest is much more heavily weighted to learning and enjoying the process than the end result. It'll be a backyard set up.

One of the justifications made to 'swmbo' over having a hive is that building a TBH would be a fun winter weekend project for me and my 9 year old Cub Scout son (he can get credit for the woodworking project, too). A compromise made is that I won't buy a package but rather attempt to capture a swarm locally. Chances are probably slim to none, but we'll give it a shot. There's a tree lined creek behind my house that separates the neighborhood from a pasture, so I'm hoping to put a box up a tree there with some lemongrass oil. I will also ask at the gun club for permission to put a box up there near the fishing pond. If all else fails, I'll see if I can find someone willing to sell me a split and be circumspect about how I got them.

I plan to use the Bush plans (give or take) to build the hive, perhaps using 2x instead of 1x but not 100% sure it's necessary. What I don't have yet, is a good handle on the size of the capture boxes I need to build. I'd like to use bars that will fit the TBH, so ~15" will be the number in that dimension, but not sure the other two dimensions I should use or the best place to locate entrance holes (with nails for bird/critter avoidance). All help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bruce

Default Re: Greetings from WV

A 15 inch cube (15 by 15 by 15) approximates natural hive environs. Drill a hole 3/8 to 1/2 inch as an entrance. Bees like birds do not want a grand opening to defend against predators. If you do a search for swarm pheremone, you can buy lures more effective than plain lemongrass oil. It is currently listed on eBay too.

Default Re: Greetings from WV

Thanks!