Default chain saw chain angle

what is a good all around angle to sharpen a chain saw chain to?

Default Re: chain saw chain angle

Just feed it 50/50 oil and grindings, it will be OK.

ripping and crosscut have ideal angles, top plate 30 to 35 degrees, top plate cutting angle 60 degrees, side plate 85 degrees: ripping chains can have angles closer to 90 degrees and depth gauges over 0.035; crosscutting with a chain ground for ripping will probably take off your arms and legs when it bucks

FYI:
    http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/groun...n_chain_saw_2/

The cutting element has a profile that looks like the number "7". Its two surfaces (the top plate and side plate) contain three different angles. The top-plate angle is the easiest to recognize. It's the familiar 30- to 35-degree rake you see when you look down on the cutter. The bevel beneath the top plate is the top-plate cutting angle. Like a chisel, its optimum setting is 60 degrees. The third angle is the toughest to visualize. It's the side-plate angle or the arc formed in the side plate. This angle typically is 85 degrees or less, depending on the brand and style.
    Good Luck
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

hello for me when i first started cutting, the simple way to sharpen a chain is to use the oregon chain with the angle line on top of the tooth. that line marks the front and back angle, follow that as a guide. The other angle is up and down. I tilt the round file just slightly up about 2 deg. as i sharpen. I usually take one stroke off the rakers with a flat file on a brand new chain right out of the box then thereafter I use a raker gage because I bore cut alot and it will tend to buck. One suggestion on when to sharpen is to do it right away because the longer you run your saw dull, the harder the teeth get and makes it hard to sharpen. hope this helps. By the way what size/ brand of saw do you use?

just a small poulan for cleaning up brush and a few things here on the place and for the occasional cut out. on my oregon chain there should be angle gauge line. if not around 30-35 degrees is that about right.

Use a guide file plate that you put on over the tooth you're sharpening. If you touch the ground or see a spark---------sharpen immediately!

Fog