Default Hello from Central Illinois

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are new to beekeeping, and intend to read everything we can this winter, in preparation for starting our first hive next spring. The more we learn about Honey Bees, the more fascinated we become. Being from a Horticultural background, I understand how important Honey Bees are to our environment. We look forward to learning as much as we can, and enjoying our new little friends!

We live in Central Illinois, about 18 miles east of St. Louis. This website and forum look like a invaluable resource, and we thank you all for having us!

Default Re: Hello from Central Illinois

Hello there Central Illinois. I too am new at bee keeping. My husband and I are also eager to learn more about the business. We put out our first two hives this past spring. We did not recieve any honey this year as the bees were busy making the come and stroring up for themselves. Its all a part of the business, Im told. We did purchase some other hives from a guy in our area who is has to give it up for medical reasons. So in the pring we will have 28 active hives. We are so excited to process our first batch of honey next season.

I will be asking all you old timers out there lots of questions.

stay tuned.
    jemiller00

Welcome to beesource. A lot to learn here and some to unlearn here also.

Welcome to the forum to both of you, Roadstar and jemiller00. We've been keeping bees for 8 years just about 60-65 miles north of Roadstar near the little village of Lowder. Nice to see someone else from Illinois. Maybe we'll have a chance to meet sometime.
    Arvin & Colleen

Welcome to all of you!! I am new to beekeeping also. I got 2 hives earlier this year from another beekeeper wanting to down size. There sure is alot of great information on this website!! Best of luck to you all!! I am in Central Arkansas

Welcome to all the new beekeepers! Considering nailing together a hive and painting it (paint the outside only) this Fall or Winter. It will give you something to dream and plan over.

Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find this forum an informative site to learn more about bees & beekeeping.

Be sure to check out the "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum - it has a lot of good suggestions covering the basics.

The 'search' function is very useful feature. I can often find several threads on particular topic (no waiting for answers!).

I encourage you to get involved with a local bee club. Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers.
    http://www.isba.us/index.affiliate.htm

Lastly, one Illinois beekeeper I'll recommend is David Burns. Check out his sites:
    http://www.honeybeesonline.com/
    http://www.basicbeekeeping.blogspot.com/