Thread: Hampton, GA

Default Hampton, GA

Not new as I have posted here before but that was years ago but I thought I would say hello again and introduce myself gain as I am going to be asking questions in various forums (I have spent the last few weeks lurking, searching and reading).

A little about me. I am a former beek from the blissful pre-mite days, 83-87. This was my highschool days and prior to that I was a beelouse/strongback/beeliner for an older neighbor, the late Raymond Estis of Rock Creek, Alabama. His hives were passed to me upon his death by his widow. Unfortunately when I went into the service the hives were left to fend for themselves and rapidly declined (mites I assume) and I have not had a box since. Through the years I have tried to stay abreast of what's happening in the beekeeping world and would like to think I am current in the literature if not practice. All the while toying with the idea of getting more boxes in the yard. Several years back I thought I was ready but a new job and subsequent transfer to Georgia prevented that (about the time I found this site and registered) now that job is no more and I am stable (as much as a small business owner can be in this economy) I am interested in getting some boxes again. Also the line of work I am in, Nuisance Wildlife Control Operations, fits hand in hand with beekeeping as I also offer stinging insect control services. My past employment and transfer was also in this field and also offered these services though like most of those were not the most bee friendly, something that I am not proud of even though I tried to integrate a more bee friendly approach while there in a management capacity.
    Well now as the owner of my own operation I can do as I please in that regard and will not offer service that does not first seek to protect the ladies while at the same time educating the public. I also want to establish my boxes with the feral stock that I am seeing in the field and hopefully be able to offer this stock to other beeks so interested. Not that I intend to established some sort of large scale bee operation but merely a means of salvation for ferals and possible additional income for the corporation, not that I would ever hope to get rich but if the stinging insect side of the house is to function it must support itself and return enough to continue operations. Basically, I want more than the hose 'em and pocket the money approach as IMO that is not sustainable plus I desire a chemical free operation from a twofold approach. One, I do not like chemicals and do not want the liability and second I do not want the Dept of Ag involved in any way with the corporation, three seperate licenses plus company registration open to inspection and subject to fines for being able to provide chemical services.

So here goes my first question;
    Should I offer LIVE HONEYBEE REMOVAL I fear I face the prospect of beehaving that is akin to cat having. To **** many, not that that is a bad thing if one is prepared for it. Over the course of the last few years cutouts averaged 8-10 per season and swarms were equal or greater if I were to market this service as LIVE REMOVAL can very easily double this number. Now considering that I have only 3/4 acre for my home/garden/yard and shop plus the demands of the rest of my business, I am a full service operation offering capture/removal/exclusion of all species over all of central Georgia plus statewide service for bats and birds, I am not prepared to establish a beeyard consisting of much more than six colonies, four is more to my liking.

So the question is; is there a market for these ferals as I remove them?

I know that I may have to house these ferals (and may actually be able to select from them) so I have taken into account the added cost of equipment and would possibly be able to move them as nucs or even whole brood boxes (with costs of equipment factored in). For my own use I would like to experiment with top bars or warres (I like to learn from tinkering).

Is there also a market there as well?

Ooops, two questions. I guess I will hit the other forums to ask more, I specifically have a slough of them related to SHB and top entrances and quilts.

Thank you in advance for any responses.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
    www.atlantawildliferemoval.net

Default Re: Hampton, GA

Hi, & welcome.

If the shoe fits wear it, You're a beekeeper.

A lot of people do well in the colony removal business. It can be profitable. You might want insurance to protect yourself against the customers that can't be pleased. Or mistakes you might make.
    If you intend to do small repairs on the houses consider a contractors license.
    Dan

Insurance is a given and one of my pet peeves. Not that I am opposed on the contrary I think it should be mandatory. I am a professional member of and the state rep for NWCOA (National Wildlife Control Operator Association) and am not liked by many of my colleagues in the WCO industry for my views on insurance. Currently there is ZERO requirement in this state for proper insurance or training standards for NWCOs and the license is ridiculously cheap. I've been a licensed professional in this state for almost five years now and prior to that I was licensed in my home state of Alabama. Neither state has standards for what constitutes a professional NWCO anfd the buying public is suffering as a result from shoddy, irresponsible, unethical and downright dangerous work. I have been in continual lobbying mode to raise the standards but have been met with resistance and hostility within the state. While NWCOA is willing the movement must come from within the state. Oh crap, I'm on my soapbox again in front of an audience that doesn't know what I'm talking about. Sorry.
    BTW, small repairs do not require a contractor's license in this state.

I think you should give it a try. If you cannot sell hives as quick as you get them, offer free or lower cost when they get over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    I think you should give it a try. If you cannot sell hives as quick as you get them, offer free or lower cost when they get over your head.
    That's what I figure. I am not looking to get rich off of beeks (they tend to be to tight fisted for that ) but merely as a means to keep from getting overwhelmed but I can't spring for woodenware to give away. Besides I am seeing some really nice bees out there. Overall gentle, I can't remember the last that I would even consider warm, with good to excellant brood patterns and very little sign of disease. The one things that I have yet to see even though I hear it is all around me is a SHB and believe me I'm looking. The only thing I wonder about is size as I am not seeing the boomers I remember from running italians but that could be a good thing and could be manipulated in captivity I'm sure. I'm sure there is some good stuff there to select from.
    I intended to make the meetings this month but emergency bat work kept me from them.