Thumbs Up The shb just may soon be a pest of the past

I have been doing a lot of research on the shb since I have had a problem with them myself.I just come across this website which is new to me I thought I would pass it along and see what you guys think. please let me know if any of you guys have tried this and if so what do you think? Dave has a video on this trap and to tell you the truth I'm very impressed with what I have saw.It is a little pricey,But I think it might be worth it........here's the web http://beetlejail.com/2010/01/new-be...entrance-trap/

completely eradicating this pest from my hives would be awesome!!

Default Re: The shb just may soon be a pest of the past

Looks good.So far we haven't had much shb problems up here but we know its just a matter of time.

I haven't seen a SHB here yet so I can't comment on the product you are linking to. If I did have the problem, I'd first try free homemade traps such as Fatbeeman makes in his video. They have a big following.

It doesn't sound like your research included actually trying this device so it may be a bit premature to announce "The shb just may soon be a pest of the past." (That is pretty much the hope of everyone, especially anyone hawking SHB traps.) Elsewhere you mentioned that you are a new beekeeper. What other methods did you try this year and how did they perform?

Wayne

Yea trust me I've tried everything that I know of. But this entrance trap keeps them out of the hive's verses all the other traps that trap them in your hive, and sometimes that's just to late.By the way you guys that don't have shb you are blessed . but when they get there you are in for a pest straight from hell.you will have to change a lot of your bee keeping habits that you have now trust me.

Saw these things at the EAS meeting in Boone this past August, but thought I'd save myself the expense until I heard some favorable reports. Now I see that it looks like they actually work. I'll look into them further come the NJSBA spring meeting and then will probably buy.

Dannyidp is so right about having to make a lot of changes in how you handle bees in light of SHB. I won't chance more than 2 supers on a hive during nectar flow now when in the past I'd just pile on as many boxes of drawn comb as were in my bee shed! And now I have to to a harvest every time I take 2 supers off and put 2 supers on when in the past I harvested once a year! It's a real pain having to clean the extractor and other harvesting tools 4 and 5 times a year!

I lost all of my hives this last spring to SHBs - so I did alot of studying. The best option I found was the "freeman hive beetle trap". I made my own though and since I was starting over I was starting with NUCs. I had to design a trap to fit a NUC. The other trick was to make sure the hives are in Full Sun. The beetles dont like the heat - or the bees are agitated by the heat and fight the beetles more. Either way - it works.

Jpoindexter, sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations. Yes, I'm presently using the Freeman trap on one and West traps, modified to work like Freeman traps on my other three. Full sun is a have to. Actually, right now my traps are off and I'm letting my chickens gobble up the beetles/larva as they fall from the hives. I think it must be working cause the chickens are scratching like the devil under those hives!

Also, some people dust their hives with Powdered Sugar - sprinkle a little on the top of the brood frames and use a bee-brush to dust the powdered sugar on both sides of the frames. This tends to agitate the bees - so wear your suit. Put the cover back on and wait a few minutes. Then open your oil trap on the bottom and if you are badly infested with SHBs - you'll find a bunch!

-J

I also built and use a west beetle hive trap and it does work pretty good.What I don't like is if you find them in your tray there in your hive! How long have they been in there have they laid eggs ect ect./ what I like about this entrance trap is they never make it in your hive. that's just my 2 cents worth I'm still interested in everybody's opinion also has anybody tried this? thanks ....Dan

I currently have bottom traps on my hives. They work but some beetles still get into the hive. I just found that the beetles innoculate the stored pollen in the hive with a fungus that produces a "mimic" of the bees' alarm pheromone.
    http://www.pnas.org/content/104/20/8374.long
    This results in an attractive lure to SHB resulting in SHB swarming into the hive. Unless the hive is very strong, things get bad for the bees very fast.

Gonna try the entrance trap.

I watched the video and it looks like the best innovation of all the traps. I have been using the Cutts trap lately and they work well but the shb have to enter the hive and end up on the top bars before being chased into the traps. I also use the west trap that gets them as they enter the hive and it works really well but the front corners are week and crack with use and the oil leeks and can make a real mess. I’m using foundationless frames. Some of the bees are smaller and it looks like smaller bees might be able to get into the trap. Might have to reduce the beetle entrance some. The pull out tray looks great cause ya have to disturb the bees with all the other traps.
    Im really not that serious