Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Making your own sugar syrup

How does everyone out there make their sugar syrup. I mean more methods but ingredients are okay too. It is always such a pain for me.

Default Re: Making your own sugar syrup

Here is a link to the method I use for fall feeding.

http://www.warrebeek.com/bagfeeder.html

I know what I use is different than a lot of other people but it works for me and has for the past 4 years. I put 8 qts of sugar in a 5 gal bucket then I add 4 qts of hot tap water and use a elec drill with a gallon paint mixer and mix usually takes about 5 mimutes.I don't give it to the bees until the next day when it has cooled. Even if you don't mix this much the same principle should work. ^The first year I used a my wife's mixer in the kitchen because I didn't have many hives and it worked just as good. I don't see any difference as long as the suger is disvolved. I have 16 hives now and it works as good as when I had 2 hives

I mix 16 lbs of sugar into a gallon of boiling water for 2-1. I mix 3 1/4 gal of boiling water to a 50 lb bag and bring the temp back to near boiling while stirring till disolved. That is about 50 lbs of sugar to 25 lbs of water thus 2-1. If you try to mix more sugar than that it sometimes comes out of solution in cool weather, but the bees will usually clean the feeder out anyway. In the fall you try to put the least amount of water that you can in the hive to keep moisture down. Cold temps want kill bees if they have enough to eat but moisture will kill them with 3 deeps of honey on the hive. Save the honeybees give them some top ventilation in winter.

I stir sugar into hot tapwater until I can't get any more sugar to dissolve. I let it set until it clears, and feed it to my bees.

5 pints of water in a pan on the stove. Once it begins to boil, I pour it into a 5 gallon pail with 10 lbs. of sugar in it. Then I stir with a long spoon, barbecue spatula or long paint stick, until the solution is pretty much clear, which will take about 4-5 minutes.

Here's how I make it and the rest of the page is on other issues...
    http://bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#howtomakesyrup
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I use a 55-gallon drum and fill it half-full of water from the hose.

I bought the largest wattage barrel wrap from Grainger, then wrapped the drum with foil bubble wrap I bought at Lowe's, securing it with Gorilla Duct tape.

I plug the barrel wrap in at bedtime, putting the lid on the barrel.

First thing in the morning the water is boiling. Being very careful not to get a steam burn, I grab a pot holder and remove the lid. I unplug the heater, then pour ten, 5-gallon buckets of sugar and use an electric drill to agitate and stir after each bucket of sugar.

Once it cools, I add 1 tsp of plain, unscented household bleach per gallon (1-1/8 cup for this drum) and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar per gallon (3 gallons for this drum). This reduces spoilage and reduces the pH for better digestion. This will fill the drum to the top so I run my drill slowly to mix the syrup one more time.

Note: be very careful if you go to the grocery store to buy apple cider vinegar. There are many "colored" vinegars and vinegars with artificial apple flavorings. Read the labels and get the real apple cider vinegar. Costs close to $4 a gallon.

The lid goes back on. I open the larger of the two bung holes and slide in a transfer pump I found at the automotive section of my farm supply store. The pump is used to pull motor oil from drums.

I feed in inverted, 2-gallon buckets and add my own homemade version of Honey-B-Healthy at the rate of 1 teaspoon per quart, or for my 2-gallon bucket at 1/4 cup (which is 12 teaspoons, and works out to be 1.5 tsp per quart).

Works for me. I hope to work a few bugs out of the homemade H-B-H recipe and post it for others. Right now my costs run about $13.91 for a quart of this stimulant.

Grant
    Jackson, MO http://maxhoney.homestead.com
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Grant, thanks that is exactly what I was thinking about.

Grant's operation is a bit bigger than mine but here's what I do: Using 5 gallon containers, I measure out the amount of water I want and place it in a heavy duty plastic trash can. I heat the water until it is steaming pretty well with an immersion heater I got from Kelly's. Next I pour in bags of sugar (enough for whatever ratio I'm trying to reach) and mix everything up with a canoe paddle. I use a pitcher to get the syrup out of the trash can and back into the five gallon containers which are then used to transport the syrup to the bee yards. I feed with both division board feeders and inverted paint cans. I do wait for the syrup to cool before feeding it to the bees.

I'm trying to use brown sugar. The bees don't seem to like it. Anyone have any luck or have any advise?

Quote Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
    I'm trying to use brown sugar.
    Yes. DO NOT DO THIS.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

If its not the natural turbinado sugar, then its artificially browned with molasses. I wouldn't feed my bees molasses. I dont think they could handle it well.

Zonker, take MB's link and read Kinds of Sugar. You have smart bees.

Brown sugar is a mixture of white sugar and molasses. Molasses is poisonous to bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I use cane sugar (emphasis on "CANE") 1 to 1 in the spring and 2 to 1 (2 parts sugar) in the fall if necessary. I'm careful, much of the sugar sold in the stores is marked pure sugar, but it may not be cane sugar!

This forum is a god send. Thanks everyone.

If we were feeding the bees beet seeds that were coated with neonic substances, it would indeed kill every bee. Now a beet seed is small and a sugar beet which grows literally outside the germinating seed is three pounds or so. Cane and beet sugar are both produced by chemical reactions in very similiar processes and precipitated out into the crystals you see in your sugar bowl. By the same logic friend, if you don't exclusively catch rain water in your mouth to drink, yer gonna die.

Don't forget about acid rain Vance!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Refined sugar (beet or cane), due to the chemical simplicity of the refining process, is one of the purest substances available.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast