Default Transport of Honey bees approx 1000 miles

Hi folks,

It's been many months since I have been on-line. I have missed being here. I came down with Lyme disease 5 weeks after being bitten by a deer tick in May 2010 and had a fight for my life. I am happy to be alive, as this was the first time I thought I was going to die. (Very scary)

After long term antibiotic treatment I am almost 100% again and feeling so much better.

Now I need a little help. I couldn't tend to the Nucs (or my honeybees) that I started in May/June until now, and they are very light on stores (the summer/fall was tough here). I have decided to move approx. 60 hives, ((forty two box) and (20 single or NUC)) to the south to the family homestead and started looking into trucking them and the cost.

Is there a viable option to renting a 24 foot stake body (round trip - since I cannot find a one way rental). I figure it will cost me around 1500 dollars to rent the truck which includes fuel cost to move them just short of 1000 miles and then drive the truck back home. I'd like to move them Thanksgiving week.... I welcome any advice. Thanks, Jeff

Default Re: Transport of Honey bees approx 1000 miles

Welcome back Jeff, and I'm glad you were able to beat the disease! A close friend of mine was just diagnosed with Lyme and has started the antibiotic treatment through a picc line. I've seen what it does to a person, but you obviously were hit very hard.

I know you're looking for help with the nucs, but I wanted to extend the welcome mat!
    Regards, Barry

I don't know if this will help, but i have always had luck with Penske (www.pensketruckrental.com ) and have move all over. Another place is to place an ad in craigslist. Just a few suggestions I hope they help.

Dan

i have about 50 hives i would like to move south. i might be able to get a trailer from a freind of mine that buoght hives from me this spring. heres my number give me a call (315)594-1069 ask for fred of ferrishoneyfarm.

It's good that you are feeling much better. Sorry to hear you had to deal with Lyme disease.

FWIW: I would like to add what I have read about Lyme disease to help anyone that may be interested.......

Lyme disease is difficult to treat as many drugs do not cross the blood/brain barrier and are not effective in ridding joints of the Lyme spirochete. Lyme likes to "hide" in both of these areas. Bee venom, however, will reach these areas and is effective. IMO, if I personally got Lyme, I would error on the side of caution and do BVT and take the antibiotic treatment. I would also take propolis and royal jelly.

I just had a discussion with a lady I met up north about Lyme and she said she had it for 10 years before she was diagnosed by a doctor. She treated it herself with herbs. She pulled up her book from behind the counter that she used as a reference. Don't remember the title, but something to the effect of treating Lymes with herbs. She had been considering doing BVT to help with the damage/effects due to having it for 10 years. There are people she knows that do this.

Many bee products of the hive are anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal and that includes bee venom.
    Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. Anyone practicing Bee Venom Therapy should proceed at their own risk.

I would try to hitchhike a ride with a commercial beekeeper that is going your way. Make it worth their while, They will know the right way to move bees.

I was bitten by a tick, had the bullseye, had galloping joint pain, took the anti-biotics. They helped, but still had(less) galloping joint pain, Went to the hospital, had blood work done, they found nothing. Somewhere I read that enough bee stings(100 a day is common, I am commercial) can mask what ever they test for. Could not convince the testing personnel that I could not be tested like the average individual. Be carefull.

Roland

Why not just use a Penske moving truck and do them by hand with a cart? Two guys can have them moved in no time, and you can get a one way.

Glad you are feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    "Welcome back Jeff, and I'm glad you were able to beat the disease! ... but I wanted to extend the welcome mat!"
    Barry, thank you so much. I am thrilled to be back! :-)

Also, to everyone who responded to my post (here and in PM) I appreciate your kind words, wisdom and advice. I have a solution to getting my honey bees to the south, and if I didn't respond to any of your offers, it's not that I don't appreciate them, it's just that I found a low cost solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mythomane View Post
    Why not just use a Penske moving truck and do them by hand with a cart?
    The word of caution regarding a moving truck extended to me: Air tight trucks keep carbon dioxide in = bad for bees. Ventilation required!