Default IPM Mite count & beekeeping activity that could SKEW results

I am about to do another mite count and want to slide the board in in the morning but I also have to go in to the hives tommorow for something else....

I would think, if I go in and work the hive WHILE taking a mite count , the extra activity will adversely SKEW the results because there will be a greater unnatural mite drop-detrius drop-etc....

So I should wait until I do the tasks before i begin the test....

makes sense right?

v

Default Re: IPM Mite count & beekeeping activity that could SKEW results

Right, but it will not skew the results in favor of the mites.

Well not in favor of anything...if the results are skewed one way or the other then the test and the results are invalid...garbage in garbage out....
    So, if I am moving frames and doing stuff there will be more crap falling on the IPM board- Am I seeing this right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Right, but it will not skew the results in favor of the mites.

If you are doing a mite count to be comparative with another one, yes you will skew results. If you are doing it to count mites, do it! Do another one in a few days and compare. Different weather conditions and normal hive occurrences can also cause big variances in sticky board indications. If you are splitting hairs I think there are more accurate methods.

I am just reluctant to kill bees to make a count....I think it is 1/2cup of bees=300 dead bees with the alcohol method.....or ether method....I dont understand what you mean by splitting hairs but I would think you'd want the best empirical data to decide whether to treat or not to treat...this is a sizable investment to most, in time and mooolah! Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    If you are doing a mite count to be comparative with another one, yes you will skew results. If you are doing it to count mites, do it! Do another one in a few days and compare. Different weather conditions and normal hive occurrences can also cause big variances in sticky board indications. If you are splitting hairs I think there are more accurate methods.

Splitting hairs~ decimal point accuracy. I was just thinking that the sticky board mite drop is not up to doing fine comparisons. If it happened to show a bit higher drop after working the hive that would only expose mites whose absence could otherwise be lulling you into a false sense of security! I think knowing your mite level is excellent information whether or not you choose to treat. Most people find not treating requires deep pockets.
    I see from another post you have found out about the sugar roll method which is more accurate and not lethal to the bees.

YEAH MAN-and I am hot on the trail for some white containers and a fat mason jar!!! You know the IPM board at this time of year , even for 3 days , makes my gherlz uncomfortable in that hot box, so this is a great alternative and their siblings won't hate me for apicide!!! THANKS!!! headed to woodcraft for a zero clearance insert for table saw....
    Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Splitting hairs~ decimal point accuracy. I was just thinking that the sticky board mite drop is not up to doing fine comparisons. If it happened to show a bit higher drop after working the hive that would only expose mites whose absence could otherwise be lulling you into a false sense of security! I think knowing your mite level is excellent information whether or not you choose to treat. Most people find not treating requires deep pockets.
    I see from another post you have found out about the sugar roll method which is more accurate and not lethal to the bees.