Thread: vinegar

Default vinegar

My wife has gone on an organic kick, and is no longer cleaning the house with odd chemicals, but using vinegar as her main cleaning agent. The house smells of it, as she uses a spray bottle. For the record, I am happy that my other half is cleaning, but am worried about my next batch of brew...

Should the presence of vinegar on floors, counter tops, etc be a problem for preparing a batch of mead/homebrew?

I don't want the mead to turn to vinegar, but I guess I don't understand that process in full.

Any thoughts?
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Default Re: vinegar

No problem. Vinegar, especially store-bought in quantity, is usually pasteurized, but even so it takes a different route to make more out of your mead . An alcoholic solution like mead (or wine) needs to

1) be inoculated with acetobacter (either deliberately using a mother of vinegar, or more typically by fruit flies landing on the must with their pestilential little filthy feet), AND

2) be exposed to oxygen to allow the acetobacter to aerobically convert the ETOH into acetic acid.

Just spreading vinegar around wouldn't pose a risk for either of these factors (though I suppose it might attract fruit flies). Keep your mead under an airlock; it will keep the bugs AND the oxygen out, and your mead will be fine!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

my wife has taken all this to the next step, making vinegar. The only problem I have ever had was her stealing my wines and mead, uncorking them and adding the mother

Okay, what exactly is "mother?"

I bought some Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar that is unfiltered and "with the mother." Is it that gunky stuff that settles on the bottom?

Grant
    Jackson, MO http://maxhoney.homestead.com

Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Okay, what exactly is "mother?"

Is it that gunky stuff that settles on the bottom?

yes
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Should be. Here are some pictures... it's kind of a snotty-looking, off-white gelatinous formation. In cultivation (making more vinegar), just add the whole mother batch. It'll get the mother plus lower the pH of the batch to give the acetobacter a head start. This is probably a better (more representative) picture.

P.S. looks a lot like a Kombucha scoby... I'm making 5 gallons today!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Fl_Beak View Post
    My wife has gone on an organic kick... using vinegar as her main cleaning agent...
    Do't sweat it, your mead will be fine, and vinegar cleans well, but if you get tired of it show her how vinegar is made.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.