Hybrid View

Default What to do with 30 year old honey

I was finishing up extracting my fall honey and I found about 50 gallons of honey that is about 30 years old. (in the basement not my hive). Is there anything that can be done with it and how can I tell if it is safe? Most of it is very dark. and still smells like honey maybe a little like hoarhound or maybe goldenrod. I just hate to see that much honey and have nothing to do with it. It was extracted by my grandfather in his early days of bee keeping, I'm not sure why he is keeping it.

Default Re: What to do with 30 year old honey

Do you have a refractor to test the moisture content to see if it might have fermented? Is it bubbly?

If not, how'd he seal it and keep it from crystallizing?? Sounds like your grandfather knew a trick or two if he packaged honey 30 years ago that's still good!

just fed my bees some honey my father-in-law made in the early 70s had to heat it up some and it too was real dark and had a off taste.

I don't have a honey refractor but it isn't bubbly. it is very thick and doesn't look like it is crystallized. I had some honey do that last year and this looks nothing like it. He has talked about times that he has gotten very dark honey out of his hives but this looks like molasses.

Smile Re: What to do with 30 year old honey

honey does get darker with age but if moisture dont get to it , it will last for ever if it turns to sugar just heat slowly , feed it to the bees if you dont think it is safe, the only thing I can think of is rust from the barrel.I turun over a barrel one time in my bee house used a dust pan and retrievedmost of it ,feed that to my bees , used a paint brush toput it in drawn cone. good luck rock.

Maybe your grandfather could of heated up the honey sometime during the 50yrs because the honey crystallized. They say honey will last a long time. Just imagine if that honey could talk, i bet it would have alot of interesting stories....