Thread: mouse guards

Default mouse guards

Got any suggestions on homemade mouse guards for 10-frame equipment?

Default Re: mouse guards

1/2" hardware cloth cut to width of hive and 7 squares deep. Bend into a v shape at the fourth row of squares. Then slide into the hive entrance.

Why not just spend the $4.75 and buy a ss one from us?
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Backyard beekeeping and honey bees.
    www.BlueLineApiary.com

I have heard of people using the metal drywall edging, cut to size and enlarging some of the holes to 3/8".

Walt
    "Having Fun with Nature"
    www.rgf-tx.com

I use 1/2 hardware cloth 4" X 16 and fold in half so the holes dont line up. This will give you holes about 1/4 to 3/8high X 1/2 wide. I staple this to a pc of 3/4 X 16" long wood and just screw them into the hive body

I just use a piece of galvinized sheet metal from heating ducts. It's usually 26 gauge and we cut it with tin snips. I cut it the width of the hive and 2 or 3 inches wide. Then cut a notch the size of the opening that you want on one of the bottom sides and screw this to the face of the hive with 2 or 3 quarter inch sheet metal zip in screws. That way it serves as an entrance reducer also. It's best to pre drill the holes in the sheet metal for the screws. You could probably even use thumb tacks to secure it.

Just cut the 1/2 hardware cloth to width of opening and staple to the front. No need to bend and stuff in the hole and you can just leave it on year round

Mouse Guard
    I found this easy to make mouse guard while reading another post here on Besource.

The theory is that mice will not go through a 3/8 opening but bees do fine (bee space).
    http://www.thebeeyard.org/

It was mentioned at a local bee meeting that when reducers were left on all winter the bees were found around the open part of the reducer.

So my thought was to make a 3/8 opening all the way across. Here is one I made.
    http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...seguard001.jpg
    I did make it 3/8 instead of the 5/6 as mentioned in the link above, maybe next time I will use 5/16.

If you have a table saw you could cut the lip on the bottom board down to 3/8" and it should work fine.
    Ski
    Just some thoughts.

I just stuck some hardware cloth in there. Could not be easier.

OH Yea when you want into big box warehouse store, and ask for hardware cloth they usualy will look at you funny. But I know that both HD and lowes carry it - it's where they keep the chicken wire. HD has a good selection in many sizes and shapes.