Default Free Templates To Create Customized Honey Labels

Hi Fellow Beekeepers:

This year, I wanted to add some labels to my honey jars to make them look nicer. But I couldn't find a service that would allow me to design a completely custom label and print it in small quantities. So I created my own design and printed it on my home printer.

If you would like to make your own customized labels, you can download templates from my web site and modify them to your liking. You will need to have access to Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to do this.

Anyway, you can find the templates and instructions at my blog, PlanterTomato

Default Re: Free Templates To Create Customized Honey Labels

very neat!! Thanks for posting!

Nice label, but it is missing information. I'm sure its fine if you're giving it out as gifts, but if you're selling your honey, then you need more info. Of course you could add a secondary label, but that adds costs and hassle. At minumum you need: Net weight and contact information (calling out a company name is not sufficient).

http://www.honey.com/nhb/industry/labeling-information/

Very classy looking!

Can't seem to get it to download.

Missing info is no prob, since you can customize it

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Nice label, but it is missing information.
    http://www.honey.com/nhb/industry/labeling-information/
    Label requirements are set by State. I believe. That Honey Board link makes it seem that nutritional info is necessary and it is not. In VA, for example, you have to have contact info and weight, and fluid oz.
    karla

Hi Astro Bee & Others:

I don't sell honey, I give it as gifts. As a result, I don't list weight or other information on the front. Of course, you can add this if you like.

If you sell honey, you would also need to list nutritional information according to FDA guidelines.

You can buy pre-printed labels with honey nutritional information from a variety beekeeping websites like BrushyMountain. here is a link to the label for 1 pound of honey for example:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/626/

Brac & Others:

The design file is 1.7MB so it may take a while to download. You will need to have Adobe Illustrator (graphics design software) to open it. Please post here, or to my web site, if you have been either successful or unsuccessful at downloading and opening this file. I may be able to think of some other way to post the files.

Thanks

-Mark
    Last edited by PaloAltoMark; 10-25-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    Label requirements are set by State. I believe. That Honey Board link makes it seem that nutritional info is necessary and it is not. In VA, for example, you have to have contact info and weight, and fluid oz.
    You are correct that labeling requirements are state-based. In VA you need weight (US std and Metric), and contact info. Do not need fluid oz. (Unless things have changed since last year when I was inspected).

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoMark View Post

If you sell honey, you would also need to list nutritional information according to FDA guidelines.
    I guess my previous post may have misled some. The NHB is NOT a governing board on honey labeling. They provide suggestions. Please check with your state for specific labeling rules.

Sorry for the confusion.

PaloAltoMark,

Thank you for sharing this template, that is very nice of you!

Labeling is definitely "state" specific. Here are guidelines for Minnesota: http://www.mda.state.mn.us/food/safety/honeylabel.aspx

Mark,
    I have Illistrator on my other computer so I can't test it yet, but I was able to save the template 1.74MB. It saved as a .pdf (is this right?)

Anyway I was able to save it by right clicking on the templete and using save target. Hope this helps others, and I will post when I get it on my other puter and try it out.
    Thanks

Brac:

It should be an illustrator file. I believe the extension is eps. My e-mail address is HMDelman@yahoo.com. Send me an e-mail and I'll reply by attaching the files.

-Mark

Wink Re: Free Templates To Create Customized Honey Labels

thanks so much,I have not tried it yet, but that was very generous of you to do this.We really need more people like this in this crazy world we live in. what a better place it would be if we all took a good look at our self and found the goodness in our hearts that we all were born with and tried to help others! thanks again....Dan