Default Refreshing a nuc-sized queen cell builder

Well, being a one-man operation can have a few limitations. I was under the weather for a few days, which just happened to include the period when a small group of about six queen cells were due to mature. They were in my queen cell builder nuc. When I finally arrived to check on them only two cells were still intact. One had emerged and apparently she was busy destroying the remaining cells. I moved the two intact cells to queenless mating nucs and relocated the Q. C. B. (queen cell builder) to a different location, to encourage the older field bees to return to their old location in order to make room for more nurse bees. I also removed the three inner combs (which were now primarily filled with nectar/sugar syrup), replacing them with two fresh frames of sealed brood and I also gave them a fresh pollen substitute patty to fortify the nurse bees for their primary duties.

Since I hadn't earlier located the trouble-making virgin, I also now focused on locating her, so I could relocate her to her own queenless mating nuc. She was on the second comb I checked and was a nice golden Cordovan color.

This morning, Saturday, 23 Oct 2010, I will graft a group of twelve queen cells and then give them a small feeder of sugar syrup.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Default Re: Refreshing a nuc-sized queen cell builder

Sorry to hear about the illness, and the resulting bad fate. Good to see you knew exactly what to do to fix it though. Good luck on the next batch!

Turns out I was too busy to graft yesterday and this morning, so I will graft tonight at dusk.

Yes, thank you Specialkayme. I am too lazy for the separate starter and finisher scenario, I just use one nuc for both.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Well, I wasn't actually on schedule, but I finally grafted ten cells. When I checked them two days later, I had six of the ten coming along nicely. I pulled the four that didn't take and put them on a separate cell bar, then grafted those four again. Today I checked and three of those four are also doing nicely. At that time I noticed that the first six were sealed (these six are also all of an exceptionally larger size). On Sunday I will harvest six of the best queens from mating nucs (and put them into holding), to make room for these six new queen cells and place one in each mating nuc in individual cell protectors.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Here is a pic of this recent batch of queen cells:

48 years - 50 hives - TF