• Yes

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 19.3%
23K views 53 replies 34 participants last post by  peacekeeperapiaries 
#1 ·
It was reported yesterday that AHB were found in Georgia. What will that mean to the Queen and Package industry in Georgia?

Johnny

#3 ·
Frmo WSBTV website.

Officials: Killer Bees Responsible For Georgia Man's Death
Posted: 9:23 am EDT October 21, 2010

ATLANTA -- Officials with the Georgia Department of Agriculture confirmed that Africanized honeybees were responsible for the death of an elderly man in Dougherty County last week.

“This is the first record of Africanized honeybees in Georgia,” said Agriculture Commissioner Tommy Irvin.

Africanized honeybees are a hybrid of African and European honeybees. Because of their extremely defensive nature regarding their nest (also referred to as a colony or hive), they are sometimes called “killer bees.” Large numbers of them sometimes sting people or livestock with little provocation.

“Georgia beekeepers are our first and best line of defense against these invaders. They are the ones who will be able to monitor and detect any changes in bee activity,” said Irvin.

“The Georgia Department of Agriculture is going to continue its trapping and monitoring of bee swarms to try to find where any Africanized honeybees are,” said Irvin.

Authorities say 73-year-old Curtis Davis died Oct. 11 in Dougherty County. Authorities say he was cleaning up burning brush with a tractor when he hit a beehive. He was stung over 100 times.

#4 ·
I hope this is just a fluke. I live in north central Alabama and figure that if they are in Georgia then they must be in Mississippi, Alabama and potentially Tennessee. This will make for big changes in the way we all do business and where we keep are colonies and I imagine who will allow us to keep colonies on their property.

#22 ·
Here's Kim Flottums Email.

This ezine is also available online at http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2010.10.21.13.35.archive.html

CATCH THE BUZZ

Africanized Honeybees Found in Georgia

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 21, 2010

More on the Story Released Here Yesterday

Entomological tests have confirmed that Africanized honeybees were responsible for the death of an elderly man in Dougherty County last week. News reports say the man accidentally disturbed a feral colony of bees with his bulldozer and that he received more than 100 stings.

“This is the first record of Africanized honeybees in Georgia,” said Agriculture Commissioner Tommy Irvin.

Africanized honeybees are a hybrid of African and European honeybees. Because of their extremely defensive nature regarding their nest (also referred to as a colony or hive), they are sometimes called “killer bees.” Large numbers of them sometimes sting people or livestock with little provocation.

The Africanized honeybee and the familiar European honeybee (Georgia’s state insect) look the same and their behavior is similar in some respects. Each bee can sting only once, and there is no difference between Africanized honeybee venom and that of a European honeybee. However, Africanized honeybees are less predictable and more defensive than European honeybees. They are more likely to defend a wider area around their nest and respond faster and in greater numbers than European honeybees.

Africanized honeybees first appeared in the U.S. in Texas in 1990. Since then they have spread to New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida and now Georgia. Entomologists and beekeepers have been expecting the arrival of these bees in Georgia for several years. There has been an established breeding population in Florida since 2005.

Because Africanized honeybees look almost identical to European honeybees, the bees from the Dougherty County incident had to be tested to accurately ascertain they were the Africanized strain. The Georgia Department of Agriculture sent samples of the bees to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services which has the capability to do FABIS (fast African bee identification system) testing and the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture identification test (the complete morphometrics test) to confirm the bees’ identity.

“Georgia beekeepers are our first and best line of defense against these invaders. They are the ones who will be able to monitor and detect any changes in bee activity,” said Commissioner Irvin.

“The Georgia Department of Agriculture is going to continue its trapping and monitoring of bee swarms to try to find where any Africanized honeybees are,” said Commissioner Irvin. “We also want to educate people about what to do in case they encounter a colony of Africanized honeybees. Georgians can visit our website for more information. The University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service has a publication on Africanized honeybees that is available online (http://pubsadmin.caes.uga.edu/files/pdf/B 1290_2.PDF) or at Extension offices.”

Don’t Forget!

Hives of European honeybees managed by beekeepers play an important role in our lives. These bees are necessary for the pollination of many crops. One-third of our diet relies on honeybee pollination.

People can coexist with the Africanized honeybee by learning about the bee and its habits, supporting beekeeping efforts and taking a few precautions.

#6 ·
Quote from Kim Flottum's CATCH THE BUZZ newsletter:
"Because Africanized honeybees look almost identical to European honeybees, the bees from the Dougherty County incident had to be tested to accurately ascertain they were the Africanized strain. The Georgia Department of Agriculture sent samples of the bees to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services which has the capability to do FABIS (fast African bee identification system) testing and the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture identification test (the complete morphometrics test) to confirm the bees’ identity."

They were confirmed as AHB.

#13 ·
Because there's really nothing to be suspicious about. AHB is old news. The genes have been spreading now for many, many years. Every southern state should expect to already have AHB, even if it isn't "official." If this story came out 8 years ago, we could have some room for doubt, but not now.

I'm sure there are AHB genes in Illinois already. Just diluted more than where you are.

#14 ·
I feel that as the genetics get watered down and they adapt to the cold, we will not be saying, they have AHB, but we will all be saying, that we all have AFB. It is a sad time as the public will just have more ammo against beekeepers. Look for more regulations about keeping bees in urban areas. With bees being moved all over the country it is up to us to watch our bees very close. If you have a agressive hive or a hive that is prone to swarm more than usual requeen it or get someone to help you requeen it quick. That will be something that we can do to slow down the advance of AHB.

#16 ·
if the genetics are getting "watered down" or are adapted more toward european honey bee traits in order to survive in the colder temps, it is only reasonable to think that the behavior of the bees will change as well in accordance with the genetic traits changing.

it may become that having ahb is no different than having ehb in northern states.

Big Bear

#25 ·
I'd like to know how old this hive was... did it overwinter down there last winter?

I know I killed a swarm up here in TN I suspected of being africanized and sent samples with the state apiarist... they were on a big rig that came N. out of Florida and the bees were attacking anything that moved even if it was a hundred yards away. There were at least a few thousand dead bees around an A/C unit because they were attacking the fan blade. I haven't heard back on the results yet, but I would be very surprised if they weren't AHB. Anyway, the point is that a swarm like that can travel a thousand miles in a couple of days if they land on a rail car or big rig, etc. but they aren't going to be able to overwinter in a nothern climate. I'd be surprised if those bees in GA made it through a winter there.

#26 ·
You guys are using wishfull thinking about cold weather killing them. 15 years ago there were studies in Mexico where AHB survived at 5000ft elevation. They overwinter in swarms the size of a baseball here and we have zero nectar from Nov to April with temps in the teens and lower. They are not a serious problem in CA where there is an ample supply of domestic bees. I live on the edge of the desert where there is some nectar but not enough for commercial beekeeping. AHB survives here and stays quite pure and mean. Pure strains produce no honey. I have 3 hives of a cross that are completely disease resistant . They have varroa but coexist with no intervention. They have the temperment of old Germans and do produce an average amount of honey. I must be prepared for the worst when I work them and do so only on a perfect day. They would be to mean for a commercial outfit.

#27 ·
The problem is not them overwintering. Its the drones they produce. If this hive was near a queen rearing operation, The drones were flying out to DCA's and open mating with queens. Even if you flood your mating area with your drones some AHN drones are going to mate with your queens. Those queens are then going to produse some daughters that are half AHB and will be aggressive.

:ws

Johnny

#28 ·
Re: Africanized bees in GA

If you look at the natural (not beekeeper maintained) distribution of AHB in Argentina, they can establish themselves up to about 32-33 degrees South Latitude.

The equivalent latitude in the US would be Atlanta. Higher altitude (like Atlanta) and winter humidity might move that line to the south. Some AHB have survived as far south as 39 degrees latitude in Argentina, which would map to Washington DC. AHB have already made it to 39 degrees North Latitude in Nevada, but that is a dryer climate.

That said, I have seen maps based on Argentina that predict AHB as far north as southern Iowa and New York State. Of course, a big factor is the presence of numerous hives of European bees to compete with the AHB. And in cooler climates theAHB become less aggressive.

#29 ·
Re: Africanized bees in GA

Well I don't know if this is normal are not but I'm starting to wonder if I have killer bee's!I have two hive and yes I am in Ga.that I started this year and all year I have been able to sit within 8 feet from my hive and observe the hive .But that is no longer possible,if I come within 8 feet now I need a suit is this normal this time of year? it's possible that there is some robbing going on that I can not seem to stop, the bees are all over the front of both hives which are 2 acres apart and are not acting normal at all.bees are also all over the place I mean front door back door all around the house shop ect.also don't let no body tell you that a hive beetle can't fit through # 8 screen wire.I pulled out my oil tray and they were 150 dead bees in the bottom of it .I'm wondering if this is part of there strange behavior?If any body can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated....

#30 ·
On the positive side, all the news reports and articles I have seen have been very factual and matter-of-fact without a lot of sensationalism, other than an occasional reference to "killer bees".

In FL, they developed the "Best Management Practices" for beekeepers and queen rearers on a voluntary basis to help cope with AHB. Does anyone know how successful that program is?

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/plantinsp/apiary/bmp_ehb.doc

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/plantinsp/apiary/bmp_hbq.doc

#54 ·
.In FL, they developed the "Best Management Practices" for beekeepers and queen rearers on a voluntary basis to help cope with AHB. Does anyone know how successful that program is?
Queen rearing in FL is very successful, we have 150 hives of nice gentle bees which 90% have our own grafted/ OPEN mated queens.. we as well as many others here in FL are right smack dab in the middle of alledged "AHB Territory" yet maintain gentle colonies and raise gentle queens. Had a colony last week got knocked over by a cow, stupid me went walkin up there to survey the damage and GOT TORE UP!!!!!! AHB??? AHB genetics from AHB drones here in the area???? I think not...that colony had a 4 month old Hawaiian grafted/mated queen....no AHB there yet.....but they sure were mad their home got knocked over and took it out on me....in my opinion we have much larger issues to deal with in regards to bees than AHB genes swimming in the pool....but for those of you who chose not to purchase SOUTHERN packages I will be more than happy to take those extra GA package bees in April/May and have them put on a crop before winter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.