Thread: wax $

Default wax $

Any thoughts on the highest and best use for wax? A price per ounce or pound? Candles, sell it bulk, have it reworked? Thanks
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

Default Re: wax $

How clean is the wax? What color? Were chemicals used in the hive? This effects the price per pound.

Beeswax candles are an excellent product and too few people realize that beeswax is actually cheaper to burn than paraffin candles due to the much longer burn time for the beeswax. Candles are a value added product due to time and extra materials, supplies used. Those molds are not cheap. Hand dipped tapers don't use molds but time/handling is required. Area of the country also effects pricing.

Not sure of current prices for candles, but people seemed to sell them for about $1.00 to $1.50 an ounce.

BTW, no one should ever burn a paraffin candle inside their home. Not only is it toxic, but dirty for walls, ceiling, etc. Paraffin is a byproduct of the petroleum industry. It is a grayish black sludge which is then bleached and may have color and fragrance added. Bad for respiratory, especially asthma. I have read where beeswax candles don't cause a problem for asthma.

Also, I have learned that essential oils/fragrance oils are not meant to be burned so they should not be added to any wax when making the candle or put in the melted pool of wax. I used to add essential oils to the melted wax pool of my paraffin candles. Now, I don't burn paraffin indoors nor use the fragrance oils/essential oils when burning candles. When I am done burning the paraffin candles I have outdoors, I will not buy paraffin candles anymore!

Look for the glowing ball around the flame of a burning beeswax candle. Wow! Nothing beats beeswax, nothing! Beeswax candles burn brighter, burn longer, burn cleaner, are cheaper to burn, than paraffin candles. They are also a renewable resource.

One more tidbit.......... do not burn beeswax and paraffin at the same time (i.e. blends?). It will coat computer, tv's etc. Not sure of all the details.

A little off topic from original question, but, Bee Bliss, can you cite your source for not burning essential oils or fragrances? How about colors? Do you mean that you just make and sell bees wax candles with nothing added?

Fuzzybeekeeper

Do you mean that you just make and sell bees wax candles with nothing added?
    I can say that that's all I do.

natural beeswax candles, no additives. People love them.

of course, I only sell raw honey as well.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Fuzzybeekeeper,

One "source" regarding not burning essential oils is candlebeefarm dot com. Check out beeswax facts on that page and down a little. As far as fragrance oils.....think petrochemicals. Beeswax can come in different shades ranging from ivory to yellow, goldish and even browns. So I just let the beeswax candle's natural honey fragrance be the scent and do not add any fragrance. I slide a little into the gray area by dipping some candles in melted wax (from colored beeswax sheets) that floats on water. The majority of my candles are natural color and only natural scent, but, hmmmm, yes, some I color the exterior by dipping.

I do scent and color some of my beeswax candles. You can't, unless you use white wax, get very light colors but, with a little practice and work, you can get some very nice colored candles.

I LOVE beeswax candles and wouldn't think of burning anything else but, they are hard to sell. 1) they are a lot more expensive than most other candles so you have to "sell" people on their wonderful characteristics; and 2) most people want container candles and beeswax does not burn well in containers (or at least that has been my experience)

If you can get past those problems, candles are a great way to make some extra money from your wax.

Thumbs Up Re: wax $

I ebay over 7 ton a year. By the oz, lb, what ever size you want. I have many that see my ads on Ebay and come buy direct too. I've been doing it for almost 3 years and it's starting to get old. Easier ways of making money.

I recently sold 100 lbs for $4.50 a pound.

Let's see........ 100 lbs. x 16 oz. = 1,600 oz.

1,600 oz. x $1.00 or $1.50 per oz. = $1,600 to $2,400 in candle sales for 100 lbs. of beeswax!

Or, figure $16 to $24 for every pound of candles. Your market may vary.

Oh, if only it was that easy!

I sell tealights I make for .25 each and they fly off the table. 5 molded blocks that equal a pound for 15.00 to woodworkers or artisans. And I dip my own Hanukah candles.

I have heard of somebody who sells wax to people who are big in to Revolutionary War re-enactments and everything has to be period specific.

They sell wax in 1 oz cubes which is roughly the size of a ice cube out of a ice cube tray for .99 cents a cube. So basically they are getting 16 bucks per pound. They have found the niche market and the folks buying it will pay.

I think bees for every 12 pounds of honey they produce they make 1 pound of wax so it seems you would make better money off of the honey than the wax even though you can use wax sales to supplement your income.
    It's Washington County, Fl not Wahington....my bad

I have a decent amount of wax from cut outs and uncappings. Been keeping it separate with the idea that we might use the high grade stuff for lip balm or soap or just sell it as cosmetic grade wax. The old comb has been melted and cleaned a couple times. Made some candles and took them to the market. Sold a few at $1.25 per ounce. It's a bit of a tough sell to folks who haven't been sold on beeswax before. I think I'll make some more candles. Anythoughts on best selling candle size or style?

It seems that the smaller candles sell better as they get the beeswax experience without too much initial investment to try them out. At the same time, it seems you can get more money per ounce with smaller candles. Try votives, tea lights or dipped birthday candles. Birthday candles use 4/0 wick size and you only need to dip them about 5 times(?) if I remember correctly. Some people make long thin tapers to stick in the sand in a jar or at the beach at night. The short birthday size candles burn 30 minutes plus a stub is left.

Try the carved Easter egg mold or the Christmas tree mold. Too nice to burn! Tapers are still my favorite to burn.

There is a big candle market. The way I see it, you have to convince those that do buy paraffin candles to switch over to beeswax. People like fancy/pretty candles and there are many nice looking paraffin styles/colors unfortunately.

A lot of people buy paraffin candles not knowing how toxic they are and how dirty they make interiors of homes and the air in the home. Lots of expense to clean and repaint walls due to sooting from paraffin, not to mention the health problems. Those paraffin candles are certainly not a bargain, are they? If people don't want to switch to beeswax candles, they should at least never burn a paraffin candle in their home again.

You might want to test beeswax and wicks by burning your candles first yourself. Also, I don't like the plastic containers for tea lights as I have already had one warp due to heat. Votives don't keep their shape so make sure people know to put them in a snug votive container.

Buffalo, If you were in our community, I would buy your eggs in a heartbeat!

Lol bliss! I'd sure sell you some eggs too! Thanks for the advice. I like the votive size. Might try some dipped tapers in my "spare" time. Lol.

I am not sure of the $ .25 price on the tea lights due to time (labor) and supplies (beeswax, wick, tabs, containers or mold and packaging). Usually I look at this stuff online to get a feel for price and I see lots of them in packages where it breaks down to at least $1 per tea light (which seems expensive). But, I haven't made any tea lights to sell yet as my test tea light warped the plastic container.
    What size wick for the tea lights?

Votives sell for about $2.00 to $2.25 each. I sell the floating candles (weigh about the same) for the same price. For fun, take a pillar BW candle price from online and divide it by the inches tall and see how much per inch the candle price is!

I'd like to try braided candles sometime.

Hint: Either package the beeswax candles up right away or box them up in bulk to keep them clean since they like to grab dust or dog hair.

I purchased a load of tealight tins and precut wicks already in the metal holders, on eBay, and the cost in bulk worked out to about .05 per. And I always have tons of excess wax after uncapping. I line up the tins, melt the wax, turn on some tunes and pour each of about 40, then install the wicks. After 10 mins they harden enough and I remove them to line up the next 40. I can do hundreds a night, and sell 'em as fast. Are you sure we have the same product. 1.00 seems HIGH! for a tea light.

Tea lights seem to come in two diameter sizes so, no, I am not sure we are talking the same product.

In checking online, I see...........

Bluecorn Naturals - not sure what size but $1.00 each.
    www.beeswaxcandles.com

Another web page sells tea lights (1.5 inches in diameter) for $5.90 for a package of 6

Candlebeefarm dot com (1.6 x 1") one for $1.50 and six for $8.25

Another webpage offers what looks like the small ones for 66 cents per tea in pkg. of 24 and another web page has 24 tealights for .62 cents ea.

One webpage lists BW teas 1-3/8" dia., 5/8" tall (.62 oz.) 5 hr. burn For $6.00 for a package of 6
    ---------------
    Edit: I found some tins for tea lights that I have not used yet. Hope this helps.

The small tin is 1-1/2" diameter and 6/8" deep.
    The large tin is 2-1/4" diameter and 7/8" deep.
    Last edited by Bee Bliss; 10-29-2010 at 07:47 PM.

I'm never surprised by what one vendor can get for a similar product, over another vendor. Some of those tealights mentioned, had oils and additives to inhance their scents and commercial value and were probably a more refined wax of even color. Their height size was also taller by a few 16th's. Whereas mine is straight cappings wax of varying colors, no additives. If I thought I wouldnt be cheating the customer I'd love to get 1.00 per. But I'm fine so far with .25. The tea tin blanks and wicks when purchased in greater bulk would enlarge the profit margin even more. Maybe next year I'll try for .50

We have made hand balm with our beeswax by adding olive oil, lanolin, and essential oils to make it smell nice. Everybody loves it. We have poured it into 1/4 pint (or 1/2 cup) jars and tried to sell them for $5 each with little luck. $5 dollars seems reasonable to me as one of these jars would last somebody a good long time. It leaves more for us I guess- we will have nice soft hands forever!