Default Looking for work: queen rearing

Hello,

I've been working with about 20 hives for the past year and would like to learn how to make my own queens. I'm from Minnesota but willing to relocate just about anywhere for winter to learn this skill. Temporary/seasonal employment or internships=great. PM me for contact info and references.

Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for work: queen rearing

you might check the emplyment section in ABJ or Beeculture, if you dont get these mags PM me and I will check them and send you any employment oportunities. Hawaii is a possibility or Australia and New Zeland, not here in the US though queen production shuts down in the winter
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Thanks peacekeeperapiaries for your input. I appreciate the feedback : )

I do get those publications but haven't looked at the latest issues for employment. I've also checked with the larger queen rearing operations in Hawaii, as I winter there, but they were only open to folks staying year round If only they knew how much I wanted to learn.... Which brings me to this wonderful forum in hopes to connect with fellow beekeepers to meet my goals-- and possibly help somebody else out too.

Well, maybe not the best idea, but you could talk to the people in Hawaii about a full time position . . . and then once the winter is over you can decide that position isn't for you . . . if you get my hint.

It isn't a question of how much or how earnest you are to learn. it is a question of how you fit into the needs of their operation. What benefit is it to them to train you, while you're learning on their dime? And then you're gone?

Another way is to simply buy the books and read articles on queen rearing, and do it. Might take longer, but we often learn from our mistakes. Yes, mentors are most helpful, and on the job training is good, but sometimes neither is available, so we make do. All depends on how earnest you are to learn.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

http://www.extension.umn.edu/honeybe...eenrearing.htm

Take a look at this it is in your home state.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Thanks Honeyman, but I believe that class was for last July.

I imagine they will do it next summer, but you never know. Giving them a call would probably be best.

The short courses at the UMN are fantastic. I took the beekeeping class and plan on taking queen rearing as well.. just hoping to find some experience before July of 2011.

What isn't attractive to potential employers about eagerness to learn and good work ethic??

Thanks for everyones input.

Eagerness to learn and a good work ethic are part of what employers are looking for. The best way to get a job is to think like the employer. Please do not misunderstand me, I mean no offense...but several folks post here wanting to learn beekeeping by working for a pro. And I have suggested that's what they should do. But having hired, fired, and trained folks over the years, I've discovered many folks seeking work fall into the same trap, they don't think like the employer. Ask yourself, "why would an employer hire me?"

Are you going to commit to him for a few months to learn queen rearing, and then go off and start your own business, perhaps in competition with him? Or are you going to commit to him for a couple of seasons, so that he reaps the benefits of his investment in your training before you depart? Are you wanting him to pay you while teaching you the business, or are you offering to work for free to learn the business, both of you knowing you'll be departing after a short while? There are costs involved to any employer to train a new employee. He is investing in the new employee, so what is the benefit/payoff to him? It takes extra time to train a neophyte, and then, when the new fellow is ready to pay off for the employer, the new guy is gone. Figure out a way to set up a win/win, and you'll get that job.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow