Thread: Soy beans

Default Soy beans

Could I get everyone's opinions about bees and soy beans? How do they usually do? How many hives per acre? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Soy beans

I wish

If you search, it's been discussed ad nauseum, and recently too. I and only a few others seem to have even see bees working them, and even then it's REALLY hit or miss. FWIW, IF the weather pans out, and IF the farmer plants a suitable variety, and IF your hives are strong, it does produce a monster flow. Those are ALOT of ifs to be moving bees to them, but if they happen to be around and they happen to hit, it's a bonus.

I have seen bees working soy beans. I can't help but think that in my area beans do some good. I know of a guy who says he gets a box of honey off of them in Mississippi every August.

Quote Originally Posted by mark g View Post
    I have seen bees working soy beans. I can't help but think that in my area beans do some good. I know of a guy who says he gets a box of honey off of them in Mississippi every August.
    Yup its possible to get some good growth on bees, but try getting a grower to work with you. Mississippi known for its hospitality but farmers are a different story haha. Most won't call you when they spray.

I am in the process of moving about 300 hive to soybeans now. Did 200 last year a little late and still averaged 60 lbs per hive. Not having any trouble with growers. Just takes communication.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Broke-T - How many hives per acre are putting on the beans?

I would like to know how many hives to acre to. Thanks for everyone's response.

If my calculations are correct there are around 2,000 acres in a 1 mile radius of a bee yard. In most of my locations at least half that is soybeans. I place 48 hives per yard. That calculates to around 21 acres per hive. I know commercial guys who put 120 to 140 per yard.
    That would cut it to about 7.5 acres per hive.
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain