Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear Hunting

Default Re: Bear Hunting

brac if your reffering to WI, you actually pick an area when you apply for the tag
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Brac, in Oregon tags are Spring and fall. In spring the tags are a draw. Pretty much 100% draw in the west (coast heavy mountain timber) East you may need as many as 3 points to draw a far eastern unit. All the regulations and draw is on line here if you want to look: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    They banned bait and dogs........ heavy coast range. No luck- any tips would be great. !
    Food! Big bear need lots of food. Find where they are getting it. Bear trails are obvious. Bears are roaming creatures of habit that need to eat a lot. The bears best asset is his nose and it is also his worst enemy.

Find where they are. Use scents to increase the odds..................Patience...........Don't rush in and screw up all your hard work and planning.

*******WARNING********

The misuse of anything that is an attractant to bears can put you in a very tough position. Always have a spare loaded weapon with you at all times.

DO NOT place any bear attractant on your boots thinking you will make a scent trail to your stand! You will and that will also lead the bear right up your backside when you are walking out at dark! Carry a spare flashlight and firearm in hand when ever you are using bear scent attractants.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

I would have figured on this thread everybody would be talking about burning honey. Anybody tried it with luck? Cougar are the only thing we now have more of then bears. Big cat hunting season is pretty much open all year except when they have kittens. I have my bear tag applications in for the year.

Honey Burn- there is much better attractants than that. If you are going to use something that is illegal you may as well make it something that works great not just good.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Grease burn works better than the honey burn!
    Big Fire with lots of used deep fryer grease.
    Works good in Canada at least and I have seen some monster bear shot with this technique!

Oregon and Washington are in the same boat, overrun with bears/cougars and they stopped bear/cougar hunting with hounds and bait!
    Doesn't make much sense to me?
    WA also outlawed trapping at the same time and then they wonder why there coyote population is out of control!
    Guess the crunchers got there way on that vote?

The wait on a bear tag in Wisconsin is insane as there bear numbers are way off. They have a lot more than the DNR estimates.
    My Mother lives in Northern WI and can't keep a bird feeder standing because of the 5-8 different bears that come into her yard and tear it down.

When I lived in WI, I used to go to MN bear hunting in between all those waiting years in WI for a tag. They at least managed there season properly!

Just my two cents and YES, I was venting!

No joy for my spring bear hunt. I put in for Eastern Oregon knowing I did not have enough points but figured I would still get given the west (they are eager to take my money) as a second choice. Gives me another point.
    I did look at the rules for what the state figures a "scent" is over a "bait". I figured the burning would qualify as a scent more than a bait. The rules do not separate them other than you have to wear it on your body.

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    No joy for my spring bear hunt. I put in for Eastern Oregon knowing I did not have enough points but figured I would still get given the west (they are eager to take my money) as a second choice. Gives me another point.
    I did look at the rules for what the state figures a "scent" is over a "bait". I figured the burning would qualify as a scent more than a bait. The rules do not separate them other than you have to wear it on your body.
    The same here missed out on the spring bear tag. Usually it is a every other year draw. Some advise on the spring bear out in NE Oregon, there is usually snow in the mountains for the whole season, so it can be hard to get into some of the units.

But don't forget the fall season out here. Spot and stalk in the fall works good, particularly out on the breaks of the Snake River or in the blue berry patches in the blue mountains.

Another trick: collect the drippings off bacon, melt and dip your boot soles in it. Makes a sent trail and is applied to the body, therefore legal. But you are putting you self at the center of attention. Predator calls also are supposed to work.

Keep in mind this is second hand advise, but from reliable sources. Usually the wife, and to be honest work, only allows so many hunting days a year and so far bear has not made the line up for a good long hunt.

Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Yet another trick: make a human-sized hot dog bun and lie in it in the woods. It's legal because nobody's thought to make it illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    Yet another trick: make a human-sized hot dog bun and lie in it in the woods. It's legal because nobody's thought to make it illegal.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    I spent all afternoon at Walmart and could not find a bun that I could fit into, anybody know of any sources? Also which of the condements works best?

Default Re: Bare Hunting

If yo axk me, that’s all a mighty piddling business, I recon you boys don’t know diddely ‘bout hunting no 'bare' mountain style. Back in the 40s this old fellew up in the Great Smokey Mountains sold ‘bare’ sandmages to tourists fer a libbing. He learnet me how to hunt ‘bare.’

First get yourself one of those old time milk delivery van trucks, you know the kind with an enclosed bed and the only door the one in the rear. Rig yo up a rope to the rear door knob so yo can slam it shet from the driver’s seat. With yo winders rolled up, park on the roadside in ‘bare’ country and sprinkle some ‘bare’ vittles in the back of the truck. When a ‘bare’ climbs into the truck to get hisself a snack, yo yank on the rope, slamming the door shet. Then crank up yo milk truck and drive home with yo 'bare' on the half-shell in the back.

I hope you are all LYAO (Laughing Your Adenoids Out)
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I used fresh hot bacon grease and tossed it up
    a tree truck before I got into my stand. Did a few
    years of bow hunting in Ontario before it got too
    expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12