Thread: Bear Hunting

Hybrid View

Default Bear Hunting

My truck-1999 Chevy sporting a 6" suspension lift and 35" BFG AT's

The hounds

Before the shot

After the shot

This bear only weighed 260 lbs. dressed out. It was shot by a guy that my dad invited with. I had a bear kill tag myself but didn't tree a bear big enough to satisfy me. We treed and killed plenty though so you beekeepers in northern WI can sleep a little better.

I did get to have a little fun chasing(running on foot) a bear that would not go up a tree but decided to fight the dogs on the ground instead. According to my GPS I was carrying I ran 1.2 miles through the woods with the dogs(2) and bear until they got close enough to the road so we could get more dogs in the chase. After 4 more hounds were released the bear quickly realized that it would be best to climb a tree. It was tempting to kill that bear after the exciting chase but it was a small sow so I passed.

Now I need to contact the WI DNR and see if they used food grade materials when making the bear kill tags because I need to make Tag Soup with mine.
    Last edited by Beeslave; 10-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Default Re: Bear Hunting

great hunt, congrats. I drew a bear tag in WI in 2007, had a few bumps on my hunt but got a decent bear. Nothin like listening to those hounds hot on the trail.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

PeaceKeeper,
    If you draw another tag in the future feel free to contact me. Some years we need guys with tags. No fees are charged but donations(beer) are accepted. Sleeping quarters(another "no charge") are provided if needed. We just like the "bear on the ground" reward for the hounds after a summer of chasing without the reward(except for the occasional bear that likes to stay on the ground and fight).

will be a few years IM sure but my kids will get drawn before me, I will let ya know...beer always provided
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Preference points can be transfered from person to person. 3 people together on the 3rd year of applying can pool their points to 1 person. That 1 person will be applying 6 pts(2 pts from each person the previous 2 yrs). That makes the 1 person going for a 7th pt or a tag. The other 2 people will apply again the 3rd year and they would then recieve 1 pt each to put in the pool in the future. If played right at least every 3rd year there is a tag for the family to share the meat and every 7 yrs each person of the three will have a bear to claim his/her own for the trophy mount/rug/shooting rights or whatever.

Very nice. What county do you hunt bear? For years we have camped in the Nicolet National Forest in mid August and see the hunters running their dogs. Lots of trucks with dog cages and radios along side the roads. We even saw a huge bear run across highway 70 (Forest County) one afternoon right in front of us. As fast as he was running, must have had dogs on him. Love the northwoods, trees, lakes, fish, deer, bear, beer ..., wolves, porcupines, turkeys, birds, owls, hawks, eagles and oh yes, can't forget that cougar that ran across the road in plain sight (again Hwy 70 in Forest county)! Wow! Big cat with the thick legs and long broom tail and distinctive cat head profile, etc. DNR blew us off! They suggested a fisher (30 lb. fluffy animal) or a wolf with mange.....we're like sorry, NO! We know a cougar when we see one!