Default Finding the queen

I installed my first package the 20th. A week ago. There was a cold snap, the only time they were really able to fly and not cluster was yesterday and today. I was feeding with a boardman feeder resting on top inner cover with extra deep. Today was only day i had to open hive to verify queen was released from queen cage. I also put in top feeder i ordered from walter kelly. I searched for queen, thought I saw her but not sure. There was comb being built. They really got upset, I blame it on I was messing with boardman feeder(changing to top hive feeder). I may not be giving or have enough info but is there anything i could have noticed to verify queen is alive? Before I put on new feeder I had room for pro patties resting on top of frames. I put patties on cinder block away from hive after new feeder, will this possibly cause robbing?

Default Re: Finding the queen

It will be a couple weeks after installing package till queen lays, atleast in ny experience. Ive always had it take a while. Dont worry shell start layin soon wnough for you. I raised a queen last year that took so long to start laying i thought she did not come back from mating. She was several weeks later than normal. This was in warm weather. I went to go put more brood in my nuc and start over, and found two queens in it, both laying. I put one in another hive. They looked rather small, but they were the two best layers ive ever had. They could lay a full depp frame and not miss any cells.

It takes a little bit for the workers to produce comb for the queen to lay in, so look for eggs. Once you've got eggs, you are good to go.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

95% of the time shes going to be on that new comb there building (in a new package) she literealy waiting for them to finish cells for her to lay in.

As for the patties, never seen them take them unless they are in the hive. or its too cold for pollen. Foragers don't like patties enough, they pass them up and keep looking...