Default can i just feed them honey??

In the spring or with new bees everyone says feed them sugar water... Is there a reason not to just feed them some honey??

Default Re: can i just feed them honey??

If it's your honey, that should be fine. If you bought it, you don't know what came with it (foulbrood?). Sugar is cheaper than honey, why not feed it if they need it?

A beekeeper that works his bees behind my aunts house gives her a case of raw honey every year.. Suppose i can give them sugar water until they supply their own honey... I do make sugar for a living after all

Honey is very attractive to bees. Depending on how you feed it, you may be inviting other bees to become robbers. If other bees start robbing your bees, you will have a problem.

Of course, it is possible to feed bees honey without inducing robbing, but there may be other risks in the honey itself. Those risks do not involve humans, but risks to bee health. The odds are probably low that the honey will be a bee health issue, but why risk it?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Yea ya got a point, robbing didnt occur to me

I have some honey still drained off from cappings and wax and from some cut outs that I don't want to consume. I have fed small amounts (1/2 pint) via top feeders and I give it at dusk, on nights I know temp wont go below 60, and they have it empty by mid morning. I have been watching for robbing. I add a little water and shake well to thin it out a little. So far, it's workiing well.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

The main reason I don't feed honey, is I don't want to set off robbing. The second reason, if it's not my honey, is the chemicals in the honey.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF